“Fat Tax” on Flying

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

BigDog.
    Participant

Papillion53
    Participant

How ridiculous!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

There’s my airfares going down. I’ll take as many of those slimmed down fares as possible

canucklad
    Participant

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase ” Jumbo Jet”

LuganoPirate
    Participant

While I’d have to pay a supplement, even though I’n no heavier than some of the 6 nations rugby players, I guess I’d be quids in if my kids had to pay less!

Would you then receive a discount or pay extra if your weight changed between booking and flying?

Running to catch the plane after delays at security could cause you to sweat away a kilo. Would they then reimburse you?

Agree though with Papillion, ridiculous!

BigDog.
    Participant

It appears Samoa Air has beaten Michael O to pay-as-you-weigh.

The telegraph asks the question “Airline Fat Tax – Who Would Benefit”?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9969000/Airline-fat-tax-who-would-benefit.html

MartynSinclair
    Participant

most sensible…. weigh the family + luggage and charge accordingly!

Shearer
    Participant

O’Leary has said it’s unworkable.

I suppose the papers need another target to victimise.

Edski777
    Participant

Especially on an Island nation with about 75% of the population overweight.
    Those guys at Air Samoa must be making a healthy profit on this scheme 😉

BBFLYER
    Participant

About time it should be done on all airlines .

Shearer
    Participant

Samoa Air operate tiny aircraft so it makes sense for them.

Given the daily scenes at airports over excess baggage, I can’t see how excess weight will be managed.

Mind you, air fares are too simple as it is…

canucklad
    Participant

BBFLYER…….What needs to be done…selfishly speaking…..and I’m talking as someone of average build and definitely not obese…..

Is simply this…….airlines act positively and REWARD me…… and make my life easier when I spend my hard earned cash to fly with them……selfishly not bothered if they penalise, or not, WEIGHTIER passengers….

I never use my whole weight allowance, and in actual fact normally travel light —–very light…..

Starting at check-in or more likely the bag drop……..standing behind people and trolleys that have more luggage attached to them than a container ship could hold, followed by the inevitable arguments and bickering over excess charges…..all whilst my thirst grows and time passes by…..

Then onto security ….more frustration as the faffing about with what seems like the stock of PC World, Boots and Primark are bottlenecked through the over whelmed X-ray machine….

And then the final insult…people carrying their life story with them in the cabin….and assuming it’s OK to invade my personal space with their jackets the size of circus tents, personal belongings that have “Tardissized” themselves into a mass that a mahout would find difficult to carry….

So please airlines , reward me for being nice to you aircraft’s fuel efficiency !!

BigDog.
    Participant

The Airbus A320 is moving ahead with a config where the aisle seat in economy is wider and therefore priced above the rest. The space being taken from the window seat – which probably will not see a reduction in price!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22141525

lloydah
    Participant

No indeed, no reduction in fare for the slimmer seat. It seems ok to charge a bit more for the extra width though. I have always thought that it’s another cockeyed PC move which makes it fine to accommodate fatties but the rest of us should just keep quiet about the unequal treatment – “You’re average so you can put up with a narrow seat even though we’re charging the same as we would for a slightly wider one”.

Personally I think the pay as you go by weight method has a lot going for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls