Fastest subsonic flight between New York and London

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Seems the record changed hands a few times during Storm Ciara.

Virgin Atlantic posted a tweet conceding the record to British Airways (four hours 56 minutes), but couldn’t resist blaming it on the extra engines and fuel consumption of BA’s B747…

2 users thanked author for this post.

pheighdough
    Participant

The Norwegian JFK-LGW would have captured the record off the first approach if it hadn’t gone around and then proceeded to Copenhagen?

The B787 reigns supreme in the N Atlantic speed race!

Swissdiver
    Participant

776mph, that is Mach 1.0470964. How come this could be considered as subsonic?

Johnnyg
    Participant

Apparently, that is ground speed not true airspeed,

Inquisitive
    Participant

[quote quote=989954]Participant

Apparently, that is ground speed not true airspeed,[/quote]

JohnnyG is right. Ground speed is addition of aircraft speed and tail wind speed in this case

MartynSinclair
    Participant

One other interesting piece of data is the block time. This added around 52 minutes to the flight time, in other words 18% of the overall time for this record flight time, was ground movement.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

I wonder if anyone complained in First or Club that due to the very short flight they didn’t receive all the ‘service’ they had paid for? Also, how does Heathrow handle such early arrivals as I thought there was a curfew between 23h00 and 05h00 or am I mistaken.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

A certain number of planes are allowed to break the curfew on a regular basis…

Swissdiver
    Participant

I landed before 5am a number of times, essentially coming from Asia. I guess it make no sense for an aircraft to go in circle simply because it flew too fast.

capetonianm
    Participant

[postquote quote=989991][/postquote]Isn’t the flight time calculated from liftoff to touchdown when it comes to establishing records? I know that for timetabling purposes it is block time, but I think this is different.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls