Farewell to The Jumbo

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

Today we lost something which I am sure many of you know – the Jumbo Floating Restaurant from Hong Kong’s Aberdeen harbour sank while being towed to a new location. When I lived there we always dragged our visitors to it, even though the food was better on some of the smaller ones. It was impressive for size though….

2 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Been there many times. It was always lots of fun.

There goes a piece of Hong Kong history.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

All very convenient disposal of an unwanted asset. Well insured ?
    Should never have been allowed to happen

I would have lunched there dozens of times since the mid seventies but a much faded attraction over the past at least 15 years. Expensive, poor food and service no longer a place to take visitors. No locals that I know had been there in the past few years.

There were two Jumbos and the smaller one is still there but closed – it could be reopened and with the right operator once again become a need attraction

Inquisitive
    Participant

I have been there only once during on of our family holiday. As others said, food was not that great and it was pricey, but the experience was unique.

Sad to see it go.

FormerBA
    Participant

In the 1970’s in Glasgow, Reo Stakis owned a string of hotels.

They had a horrible habit of burning to the ground at the most inconvenient times. The Grosvenor Hotel for example, during a fireman’s strike when the Green Goddesses were deployed. There is a marvelous image of this Victorian fronted building ablaze with these puny useless vehicles standing by.

Was this too, the convenient disposal of an unwanted assest? many in the city used to think so.

It was beautifully rebuilt and became a Hilton until very recently.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Of course in HK that was my first thought – the convenient disposal – but I am still sorry it has gone – I can see that cavernous interior now with all the round tables.

stevescoots
    Participant

never saw the attraction, but then first time i went was about 12 years ago so as others have said i probably missed the glory years

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Upstairs on a 747 was a real pleasure. More over, I found like myself, other passengers would keep the loos clean and tidy

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I believe one of the original Jumbos (there were several) is still in Manila Bay?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1218484]

Did you get a bit confused about what the thread is about, CathayLoyalist??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls