Fall in £ vs Euro, Ex Eu Ticket purchases?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

By the way, good news that Cathay resumed flights from Gatwick last month with the A350. Another good option for south coast passengers heading East and looking for direct flights.

I just wish there was a way that EK could extend some of its flights to the US like they do with Milan.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I guess the flip side of this is that BA will now receive more pounds for the ex Europe flights which should augur well for the bottom line?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Well maybe not. I’ve just seen they account in Euros so the weaker pound will translate into less revenue. Ah well, at least they can blame Brexit!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

There are also some good deals with CX in J ex LGW…

With EK, my last ‘saver’ J return to Asia (cost circa £2k) netted 15,000 Skywards. This will get you a return trip to Europe with EZY, as long as the 2 sectors cost in total around £75.

Great to be able to use EK miles for EZY redemptions, and if you have a tonne of Skywards, you can book a number of sectors on the same flight (good for family / group trips), unlike legacy airlines which can restrict the number of award seats on any given route.

However, and perhaps understandably as its a redemption on a 3rd party airline, some may consider the redemption ‘value’ as not being that great.

MarcusGB
    Participant

But returning to the Subject for this thread…
    I have several colleagues who were like myself, purchasing Ex EU hubs, for the huge difference in prices and taxes levied on a ticket. Normally this would save at least £500 per ticket, but they were not fling out then back for BA or its Avios, purely for price and mileage benefits.
    Clearly the taxes and charges levied on a J Class flight return to Asia for eg, are not paid when flying out of the EU and its major hubs.
    Leisure travelers also travelling long haul, often save significant amounts

Dublin and CDG, AMS, often have vastly different fares for Business Class flights, on the same Airlines departing ex LHR. EY, EK, KLM, Cathay, Thai… are often from £1,000 per seat to a few hundred. So perhaps with the Fare Differences, even losing 15% with the Euro -£ compared to pre- Brexit, it is still worth it, on the same Airline you choose.

I found the largest differences on Etihad ex Dublin to Sydney, saving at least £1,000 compared to a LHR departure. KLM have a permanent special Business “Z” Class under Euro 2,000, for most continents worldwide, return Business Class (Book 3 months ahead) As Martyn has pointed out, his Avios benefits are greater, and fare difference still significant fares even with a 15% difference in fare, specifically for BA.

Etihad and EK have gone into the EU market, taking much business from the European Airlines in recent years. One flight i booked CDG to Sydney had stopovers and many benefits other Airlines do not offer, such as Chauffeur cars and stopover rates for hotels), the fare ex LHR for the same dates was double CDG and Dublin, when converted.

So perhaps the answer is that EX EU ticketing will remain attractive, and more so if you pay directly with Euros, without having to convert back to the £. This is the issue i am specifically referring to in this thread, and i am hearing that even with this drop in £ value, it remains worth it still, and mostly due to taxes and charges to depart the UK, not levied, or tried and scrapped by other European hubs.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls