Extreme day trip competition

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• StephenLondon
    Participant

I have had a couple of dinners in KUL (awards dinners where it was necessary to show my face), so flew into KUL at about 4pm, changed at the hotel, went to the drinks/dinner in the ballroom, left at 10pm for KUL, 00:30 flight back landing at LHR 05:20. So total time in KUL just over 8 hours. Once we dashed back to KUL in dinner jackets as we were a bit late. We got much admiration from the check-in team, and from the lounge team who thought we had dressed up just to fly MH First.

I have also had work days in JNB, which is perhaps the easiest long-haul day-trip thansk to the minimal time change. What amazes me are the number of same faces you see on both flights, so clearly quite a few are down in JNB for one-day meetings.

I think lie-flat beds in Club have made all the difference in people being able to do this type of travel. In the 1990s, even with angled seats, you just couldn’t survive these long hops unless you had First tickets. Hats off to TupeloKid above for flying economy!!

Brentford77
    Participant

When interviewing for a job, was asked to attend a final interview the following week. Apologised for not being available due to being away on a family vacation in Maui. Would you mind coming back at our expense for the interview said the potential employer? And so I did. Flew OGG-LAX-JFK-LCY//LHR-LAX-OGG with around 24hrs on the ground. And…didn’t get the job!

FlyingDoc
    Participant

Due to the nature of our business, very quick turn arounds, usually with same crew I have flown out with, which generally, and thankfully due to the fact we are flown in J or F, means excellent service back to London.

Examples (apart from usual London to US East Coast with an overnight)…

Lhr-jfk Concorde return on the day (leaving at about 9:30 am and landing back at about 22:15)
    Lhr-lax, one night in LA, then lax – syd, overnight in Sydney, then Syd to lhr
    Lhr-sin or Hkg or bkk with an overnight abroad only
    Lhr-Bne various times with one overnight in Brisbane only
    Lhr-lax- Mel ( with no overnight until Mel), then two nights in Mel and Mel-lhr (at the time when BA flew there via Perth)
    Lhr-Perth overnight and then back
    Lhr-nrt on numerous occasions with a one night overnight in Tokyo only
    Lhr-cpt numerous times, one night in cpt only
    Numerous lhr to cdg, mad, cph, hel, ams, agp, alc, various canary island airports ( via Madrid), dub, muc, txl, bcn- all there and back on the day
    Lhr-akl via sin (Inbound) and also via lax (outbound) one night in Auckland and then all the way back to London
    Lhr-abv and return on same plane, on same day ( although I did physically, officially never entered Nigeria…)
    Lhr-msq via Moscow, one night in Minsk (possibly one of my worst ever trips), returning back via Vienna after huge altercation with Lufthansa
    Lhr-sea-anc, one night in anchorage, then anc-yvr-lhr
    Lhr-sea, yvr, SFO and lax numerous times with one overnight at each place
    Lhr-jfk Concorde then on to Mia, overnight in Miami, then Mia-lhr on the old times when there was a Concorde link between Miami and london (I am showing my age here)
    Lhr-hkg-mnl ( at the time of British Airways Asia between Hkg and MNL), overnight in Manila then all the back to London
    Lhr-mad-lim-cuz, overnight in Cuzco then back via Madrid again the following day

I won’t bore you anymore, suffice to say I see a lot of airports, airport lounges and cities from the air (if a clear day…)

Possibly many more, but can

Casey_99
    Participant

~9pm from LHR – Hong Kong – Hangzhou, China, landing late afternoon next day.
    Next morning, critical visit to a supplier, mid afternoon Hangzhou back to Hong Kong for late night flight home.
    Was worth it for what we were going to buy and the consequences if our product wasn’t right.

Steven
    Participant

This trip would have been in 1992 – Drove through the night from Birmingham to Glasgow. Picked up bag and went GLA – LHR – JFK – SJU – BGI – Arrived around Midnight, and surprised my father the following morning. He was in Barbados for a month recovering from a stroke. I almost had a stroke making the journey~!!

Matt6561
    Participant

Little more than 30hrs(Don’t disregard me) but still a quick turnaround.

Met my friend in Singapore to see Coldplay, play live.

DEP LHR to SIN -SQ
    FRI AM 1055
    land SAT 0750 – Suite class

Sat night Coldplay.

Sun sightseeing check in late evening

MON AM
    SIN-LHR 0110 land 0700
    Business class.

Straight to work.

My friend flew from DXB and landed 30 mins later than me and we shared his chauffeur to hotel and back.
    Our flight were within 45 mins each way.

What a blast!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls