Extra runways at London airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 546 total)

• superchris
    Participant

I think the question should be less about do we build a third runway, and more around what we do with the no longer required second one…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 30/06/2016 11:30 BST

FWIW (and I’m not particularly knowledgable about politics), I’ve always regarded Cameron as a reasonably straight man (in the context of politicians) and I agree with your comments about the Leave campaign.

It would not surprise me if UK politics has passed a tipping point and the traditional party lines are replaced by something that refelcts the real issues of today.

canucklad
    Participant

Whatever scenario you looked at before the vote, the fact that Brexit is now a “democratic instruction “immediately increases the pressure to compete with mainland Europe.

Are our politicians positive about our future growth ex-EU and invest in our aviation industry accordingly.
    Or are pessimistic about our inability to compete out with the EU and plan for restricting group.

Either way and sadly the future of UK PLC is still dependant on the arrogant self-interests of personalities within the Conservative party, even though this should be a non-partisan decision.

DC doesn’t need to worry, his procrastination has served him well. Politically it wasn’t LHR that sealed his fate.
    Step in Boris , pushing his grandiose, brazenly open self- indulgent Mirabel gamble . It’ll certainly create employment opportunities to get the thing built, but ironically will they have the pool of people pool to resource from !!
    And then you’ve got Theresa May et al, which brings you back full circle to short term procrastination to fulfil self-interest short term goals. .

My advice to “Call me Dave”, announce a positive future for global expansion and allow LGW and LHR to compete by building 2 runways.
    I know it’s an alien concept to our politicians , but there’s something called future proofing and that’s what we need right now, not when Westminster finally finishes their shenanigans and puts the country first.

Oh, and Nicola, if you’re reading grasp the thistle and take a lead by dropping APD now!!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

I confidently predict that Dublin will have built its second runway (they’ve been buying up the land, little-by-little over the years) before any decision is made here about an additional runway at either of London (Rump UK) Heathrow or London (Little England) Gatwick.

Presumably last week’s vote, with the highest anti-EU vote taking place across Essex, ensures that there is no prospect whatsoever of London (We ‘ate bl**din’ foreinners ‘cos we’re in Essix) Stansted ever having another runway. Perhaps instead, there is the prospect of STN closing so as to minimise the risk of any of the locals ever actually having to meet anyone who ain’t a bl**din’ local. But with Sterling continuing on its downwards trajectory (plenty more to follow) it is quite possible that many of STN’s former customers might have to adjust their future travel plans to a day trip dahn th’ ind awf Sarfind peer. Nah wot ah mean?

MrMichael
    Participant

As the UK will shortly have Teresa May as PM, anybody aware of what her view is on LHR/LGW extra runway? I am guessing, like Brexit the soon to be PM is playing her cards close to her chest.

DerekVH
    Participant

I only hope she does not appoint Boris as the Transport Minister!

MrMichael
    Participant

I dont agree with Boris on the subject of extra runways and Boris island. However as Mayor of London I think his transport strategy was a good one. Routemaster busses (I love them), cycle highways ( won’t use them but like the concept) night tube etc etc. We could do worse as Transport secretary in my view, and I think it would take a straight talking chap like Boris to sort out the fiasco of busses and trains operating for their own purposes rather than as an integrated transport system offering VFM to its customers.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I believe that Mrs May has a very deep seated distrust of Boris and a strong dislike of him.

That said she will have to include some of the leavers in the Cabinet somewhere and Boris at Transport working firmly under her watchful eye would be interesting. Imagine a scenario where she does decide to go ahead with a third runway at LHR (not likely given her Maidenhead constituency) and Boris had to implement it! I suspect she would enjoy every minute of it.

ABBA.

stevescoots
    Participant

Didnt see that one coming Re Boris. I suspect thats a Unity position that was probably agreed the day before Boris dropped out

PhilipHart
    Participant

Chris Grayling has just been appointed as Transport Secretary.

He is the MP for Epsom & Ewell, a constituency almost equidistant between LHR and LGW.

I wonder what that means for the putative expansion plans.

canucklad
    Participant

Equidistant……mmmmm
    He might surprise us all, and resurrect the BCal helicopter service between the 2 airports, then again , he might just procrastinate some more : )

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Equidistant

If he’s any sense, that means expanding Stansted 😉

PhilipHart
    Participant

@canucklad

Fire up Google Maps, enter “Epsom and Ewell” in the search box, then get out your dividers.

Looks pretty equidistant to me!

JasPat1
    Participant

Flybe calls for opening of RAF Northolt to ease Heathrow capacity crunch

3 comments

Tom Newcombe

Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:21

Flybe has renewed calls for the opening up of RAF Northolt to ease capacity concerns.

The airline said opening the military base to commercial flights would give the UK regions immediately enhanced access to London and long haul connection at Heathrow – six miles away.

“Independent of a decision on airport capacity expansion at either Heathrow or Gatwick, which may take well over a decade to implement,” says Saad Hammad, CEO of Flybe, Europe’s largest regional airline. “The Government has been presented with an immediately actionable solution at Northolt that would enhance regional connectivity to Heathrow and the capital at no additional cost to the taxpayer.

“Northolt is available right here, right now. It is a military airport which is used largely by a few wealthy VIPs in their noisy executive jets and could easily be opened up to scheduled commercial flights with less noisy aircraft.”

Hammad said RAF Northolt would contribute £7 million to the economy in landing fees and APD.

The Flybe boss called on new PM Theresa May to push forward the decision after being “rebuffed” on a number of times by the Ministry of Defence.

“We really believe it would be a win-win solution for all – the only people who would lose out are the wealthy few who fly in and out of there in noisy private executive jets. It would be a great opportunity for Theresa May to demonstrate her commitment to work for the many rather than the privileged few.”

Flightlevel
    Participant

There’s a minor problem at Northolt, it doesn’t meet CAA landing requirements – there’s a listed building in the East approach – that’s despite executive jets using it regularly, I guess the building can be moved? It has good ground transport with London though not to LHR, perhaps another reason to use a helicopter shuttle? Local constituencies are also against its expansion.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 546 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls