Extra runways at London airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 546 total)

• TheLion
    Participant

Totally agree with all of you. However if I ever get myself into position in parliament I hope you’d all vote for me as I would only do what’s right for our country and our people. Ideologically driven politics is slowly destroying our country sadly 🙁

No doubt it won’t happen as anyone who wants to do the right thing would probably never get in under this broken system.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

ImissConcorde – you could be wrong as another Chinese deal could be round the corner….would be built in a year at most assuming Mrs May allowed them to use chinese workers!

BigDog.
    Participant

Am still sceptical Cameron will make a definitive-decisive statement in three days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/12023842/David-Cameron-to-make-decision-on-Heathrow-expansion-within-days.html

Methinks both LHR an LGW should be given the go ahead.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

approve the construction of both and let the market decide (when the hard nose of project finance comes into play, will both be constructed)

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ BigDog. – 29/11/2015 22:14 GMT

As Cameron routinely puts party before country, expect him to give the go-ahead to the next runway in Amsterdam.

canucklad
    Participant

The cynic in me half expected the decision to have been released early last Monday.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

If there is a Syrian Airstrike Vote in Thursday & muppet Corbyn screws up in Oldham, Friday would be a good day to release the runway ruling (lost in bad news for the opposition)

Edski777
    Participant

Anthony,

Cameron has probably signed of on the Amsterdam deal some time ago. They already acquired the land for the 7th runway some time ago.
    (That’s right: 7th) ;-(

Most likely not too many constituents will be discomforted by his swift decision 😉

Charles-P
    Participant

I suppose there is an argument that with recent events the PM has other things on his mind and agenda ? A decision on a new third runway is a hope a long way below one that involves sending young men and women to fight !

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Something I had meant to post when it was published in the London Evening Tory/Bojo fanzine – and as a demonstration that the inability to make a decision about future runway capacity in London and the south-east is NOT simply a function of invertebrate politicians. The latter are obliged to respond to public opinion, not the least being those self-appointed members of the commentariat such as one Simon Jenkins. He has regular columns across a range of UK print publications. Never short of an opinion is our Simon…

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/simon-jenkins-don-t-buy-the-idea-that-heathrow-expansion-is-good-for-the-nation-a3111111.html

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

announcement tomorrow?

canucklad
    Participant

Thanks for the link AD……
    What a pillick Simon Jenkins happens to be….you could drive a bus through some of his points.

And back onto my point about being a cynic, here’s my prediction; the decision will be released to time with the result of the now inevitable free vote to bomb Syria!

Edit to add …. Apologies AST, just realised I’ve agreed and replicated with your point, but they” be pro-active and release before the vote , thus trying to ensure it has a short headline lifespan

JasPat1
    Participant

I’m sure Cameron will announce it tomorrow and try and get it buried within the Syria bombing vote.

Interesting bit of information: Flybe has announced plans to apply for domestic (UK) flights to/from RAF Northolt. Only 10 miles north of Heathrow. Hope they’ll codeshare on loads of carriers into and out of Heathrow if they get permission!!

JohnHarper
    Participant

Isn’t there an issue with the runway at Northolt? I think I skimmed an article a couple of months back where major safety concerns were being expressed about the level of build up around it (is it really worse than LHR) and the dangers to both the approach and departure paths as a result. There is I know very little over run on the runways.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 546 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls