Extra guest

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• kevin
    Participant

Hello all,
    Firstly I must admit I am not really a business traveller,but travel regularly to watch my son compete.
    We travel as a family so there are three of us.
    We tend to stay in IHG hotels and am wondering if it is common in other chains as well to only offer room items for two guests only?
    At first it tended to only apply to cups, glasses and such items.It now seems to stretch to towels and pillows.
    It gets rectified after a moan,but should it not be expected to be done already?
    Any thoughts?
    Enjoy your travels.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=955035]
    We tend to stay in IHG hotels and am wondering if it is common in other chains as well to only offer room items for two guests only?

At first it tended to only apply to cups, glasses and such items.It now seems to stretch to towels and pillows…[/quote]

You stayed in an IHG hotel without towels and pillows in one of the rooms you rented? That’s never happened to me. If it did happen, I would’ve immediately complained about it at the front desk.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

I’ve noticed that too, especially with pillows. Often have to ask for an extra one, as I sleep higher after a nasty respiratory infection a few years ago.

It’s usually left on the bed when made up, but more often has been removed so have to ask again…..

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=955043]

At first it tended to only apply to cups, glasses and such items.It now seems to stretch to towels and pillows…

You stayed in an IHG hotel without towels and pillows in one of the rooms you rented? That’s never happened to me. If it did happen, I would’ve immediately complained about it at the front desk.[/quote]

I don’t think that’s what the OP means. He (or she) is saying that when there are 3 people in the room he has to ask for an extra towel etc…

GivingupBA
    Participant

I don’t think that’s what the OP means. He (or she) is saying that when there are 3 people in the room he has to ask for an extra towel etc…[/quote]

OK, sorry about that, my mistake, and thank you.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

In every hotel I’ve stayed, including IHG, if I’ve booked an extra bed, the bed is made up and an extra set of towels are in the bathroom. It has happened occasionally they forgot to put the extra bed in, but that was quickly rectified.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Hotel rooms are generally set up for 2 guests and most busy hotels allocate rooms as and when guests arrive so that might explain this situation. Hopefully it would be quickly rectified on the arrival of a 3 guest party. I assume that you are sepcifiying at time of booking that you are 3 ?

Alsacienne
    Participant

Whilst I do not aspire on a regular basis to hotels of the calibre of the IHG, I find that it’s a necessity after checking in at a Premier Inn to ask for a second set of towels, as it is ‘run of house’ practice to leave just one set because housekeeping doesn’t seem to know how many guests will be staying in any given room as new arrivals. Just a bit of a pain to have to ask DS to go to reception for another set of towels because I’m in the shower and discovered that ‘his’ towel has already been used and is wet through!

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Kevin
    I regularly use reward nights to book weekends away or as stopovers on the way to HK etc.
    If that stay involves 3 people, I let them know before hand and they have always obliged with what needs to be done.

On occasion, I’ve made myself look stupid by not checking the cupboards for all the extra stuff, especially in rooms that are set up as a living room during the day and then bedroom at night , so my tip is check cupboards etc…

As LP said, a quick shout to reception will rectify it, and possibly get you an upgrade if a bigger room is available and its easier to move you than drag beds through the hotel : )

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=955035]Hello all,

Firstly I must admit I am not really a business traveller,but travel regularly to watch my son compete.

We travel as a family so there are three of us.

At first it tended to only apply to cups, glasses and such items.It now seems to stretch to towels and pillows.

It gets rectified after a moan,but should it not be expected to be done already?

Any thoughts?

Enjoy your travels.[/quote]

Hi Kevin

It wasn’t a Holiday Inn near the crossing of the M6 and M62 two weeks ago, was it? My wife and I checked in to an Executive room and found it was fully set up for a three. Being worried that some poor family would arrive to find no availability for a three, I went down to reception to check – they looked at the check-ins due and said they weren’t expecting a three. Weird.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Lack of bed space is mostly European hotel issue.
    Most good Asian and USA hotels have room with 2 queen beds that could easily accommodate extra guest. Of course one has to check availability in advance as these rooms are quite popular.

capetonianm
    Participant

Extra guest or not, what hacks me off is when they give you two teabags and two tiny plastic pots of milk to last for an entire day and night. Admittedly I’ve never had a problem when asking for more, either from reception or from the service trolley.

I did once have an argument at a B&B in Yorkshire though. I was on my own and they had tiny little ‘girly size’ (sorry I know that’s sexist!) cups for tea, so I used one of the rather strong teabags and made two cups of tea with it. When I checked out the landlady accused me of having sneaked in a second guest and wanted to charge me extra!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

capetonianm, the thing that bugs me is when hotels only have a coffee maker and no kettle. The hot water from a coffee maker ALWAYS tastes of coffee so it is then completely impossible to make tea (I take my own tea when I travel, incidentally).

Stupid little cups are a real annoyance. The Peninsula in Bangkok, which is one of my favourite hotels and in virtually all other respects is impeccable, not only has stupid little cups but they don’t even have handles (Chinese/Japanese-style). Infuriating.

TominScotland
    Participant

The ability to make PROPER tea is, along with a good shower and free, fast wifi, an absolute must for me in hotels. I always travel with plenty of tea of my own, frequently a litre of UHT skimmed milk (sounds worse than it is) if I am checking luggage and also a travel kettle and large mug of my own. Water must be boiling (not hot) for my tea and, Ian, you are absolutely right about coffee makers. For this reason, I will only drink tea in cafes/ restaurants in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa where they generally know how to make the stuff – elsewhere, it is always coffee. Mind you, I remember driving through the tunnel from Detroit to Windsor many years ago and stopping at a Mall where we found a cafe offering perfect afternoon tea. But western Canada – no way!!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I hear you, Tom! I used to take on my trips a travel kettle which very neatly combined the kettle, cups, a drip filter and four little compartments to store tea, sugar/sweeteners etc. Unfortunately it was desperately slow, particularly in the US or Japan (how can a country run on 110 volts, it’s ridiculous! – I used to put the kettle on in the morning and then have a shower in the vague hope that by the time I finished the water would be boiling – but it often wasn’t!).

Anyone have any recommendations for a good travel kettle??

As to milk – the Memsahib has sadly developed a severe dairy intolerance so we often travel with soy milk. double wrapped in Ziplock bags ever since we had one container burst in a suitcase. Soy milk and clothes do not go together well, and they absolutely stink!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls