expensive shorthaul, cheap longhaul upgrades

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A poster recently was offered an upgrade from Paris to London from Economy to Club (CE) for over euros 530. Considering the length of the flight and the possibility of purchasing a ticket 1/10th of the upgrade cost – whats the most expensive upgrade that you can recall being offered on a shorthaul flight?

At the same time, perhaps this question can be combined with the cheapest upgrade from economy to business for long haul that a poster has manager to enjoy (please exclude free upgrades)?

CharlesRhona
    Participant

Last year I upgraded from a restricted Economy fare to Business Class between Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur with KLM for only 215 Euros. Could not believe my luck!

Potakas
    Participant

£790 from BCN to LHR, of course I didn’t accept the offer :p

Price quoted at the airport and the CE cabin was empty (not a single passenger).

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

Did get an F ticket on EK for only £200 more than J, with 4 segments.

That was on a special promo and it was tremendous value.

travelworld
    Participant

I paid $200 for an upgrade from WT+ to CW for Rio-LHR at check in about five years ago, but not sure how “official” that was!

LeTigre
    Participant

Some of us don’t try to find the local cartels when abroad… 😉

rferguson
    Participant

My mum picked up an upgrade to CE from ATH – LHR last week when she checked in on ba.com. 105 euros.

DNAdams
    Participant

In 2003 I paid $100 directly to the CSD to upgrade from Y to J on an Aeroflot flight from LHR to SVO. Those were the days!

flying_sikh
    Participant

790 Euro for an upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe. On A ZRH-LHR flight in Jul 2011. I’m not mad to have taken that. CE cabin that evening was half empty.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Booked Malaysian Airlines economy and at LHR check in was offered upgrade to business for only £250.

rcfyelee98
    Participant

Not quite an upgrade story.

On a recent trip from the US west coast back to London, I wanted to change from an evening flight to an afternoon flight on BA CW. I was on a semi-flex return and was expecting a £250 change fee. I called my travel agent to get the flights changed and was told the fare differential would be £2900! I passed.

Determined to get home, I went to the airport where I pleaded with check-in to get me home. They put me on stand-by and I was on the earlier flight at no cost. I think I need to talk to my travel agent.

Potakas
    Participant

I had an EDI-ATH flight with BA (Y) which I wanted to change it to an earlier day (today). The price difference including the penalty was £230, I asked about the Business class fare and they told me total cost £260. I booked it 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls