Excess Insurance Savings!

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

I rent cars (business and pleasure) perhaps 4-6 times per year. Heretofore, I rented from Hertz via the No 1 Gold Club and the rates there included SUPER COVER as opposed to other methods of booking Hertz cars where this SUPER COVER would be extra. I remember this costing approx Euro10 per day (+/-)

Now that I have started to rent more cars I thought to shop around and see that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find a specific quote for this Supplementary CDW cover on any of the main rental company sites (AVIS, Herts) The people at EUROPCAR are an exception where you can purchase it online in advance (and inculde an extra driver).

However, the cost of such cover is not £14.5 per day with AVIS in the UK and hence I shopped around on the internet. The now weems to be a number of insurers offering this cover on a ‘Reimbursement’ Basis and you can buy it on a daily basis or annual.

I purchased an annual policy for myself and spouse (Worldwide) for £49.50. [with an annual policy limit of £3,000]. The company was CARrentals.co.uk (Questor Insurance Services). I believe there are other similar companies out these also.

So on my rental last week in the UK, I almost gathered back the cost of the cover offered by AVIS (£14.5 per day).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have two credit cards, Amex Platinum and MasterCard Platinum. Both of these offer free CDW cover so you can safely refuse it when offered by the rental co. if you use the card to pay.

Miles and More offer the Amex Plat which also gives you miles and is issued in Switzerland by Credit Suisse.

It’s worth going for.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I can’t easily get an Amex platinum in Malta, so I use car excess insurance, too – the 49.50 price sounds right to me.

Just be careful about complying with any relevant conditions, e.g. getting a report.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

If these insurance waiver schemes sound too good to be true … then they probably are.

Best to be on your guard when travelling outside Europe because the rental firms (note that staff earn commission from sales of excess insurance) might make like difficult for you.

For an example, read the experiences of a renter in the US:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/columnists/gillcharlton/8639451/Travel-advice-Car-rental-insurance-you-can-do-without.html

RichHI1
    Participant

I used to use one of the insurance companies. Worked well for me though on reading the fine print, the value limit for vehicles or definitions can be restrictive if you are renting an SUV or an import.
    Then swapped to using a US credit card which has free insurance. OF late I have taken to booking on Hertz using a UK address on No 1 CLub Gold. I find the rates including insurance and taxes is bout the same as the US rate without them. THough Care Rental rates this year seem to have been hiked. Budget also can giv good rates with Insurance if booked through uk site.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Status update……

I have now rented 3-4 times since I took out the £49.95 policy and on each booking (mainly with AVIS in London and Europe) I have had quite a reaction from the sales agents who were trying to sell me their cover at Euro 16 per day.

It appears that they have had quite an amount of training to try to get you to take their cover by asking questions such as

“Does your insurance cover Tryes and windscreen which are the most frequently damaged parts, ‘coz ours does and not many do not!’

I, of course, have checked this and indeed the insurance covers Tyres, Glass, damage to underside and indeed fuel contamination.

Now I simply don’t engage with the questions any more and simply say no.

At an AVIS counter, I recently overheard a less informed (and less prepared) customer having the full sales treatment on buying the euro16 per day cover being warned about the the likely events that could befall the poor guy, and possibly having to pay up to “E1,400 in damages”

Also if you dont take their cover, AVIS (and possibly others) now block off the full excess from your credit card. This has happened me twice.

If you don’t have enough credit on the card, then their insurance is Compulsory.

All very nice business if you can get it!

SwissExPat
    Participant

I just booked a car in Spin with a Hertz and the SuperCover was offered during the booking for an ‘Eye watering’ Euro 28 Per DAY!!

I expect a VERY hard sell from them when I opt not to buy it at the desk!

GudFella
    Participant

@ SwissExPat

I just bought the same cover and appears to be substantial savings. Also covers me for car rentals in the UK where I reside. Not used them just yet but I hope they are hassle free should there be a need to make a claim.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls