Ex EU experience and American Airlines.

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Biztraveller74

Yes, some airlines have retained 9-across 3-3-3 for new B777-300ERs. Of the airlines that have recently ordered this version the ones who have retained 3-3-3 include our own BA, Thai Airways, Qatar Airways, Cathay Pacific, Garuda and SIA.

But the trend (for airlines ordering new B777-300ERs) is to install 10-across seating. For example AA, TAM of Brazil, EK, EY, Air NZ, TK, SU (Aeroflot).

And some carriers are retrofitting existing B777 versions with 10-across like Air NZ, AF, KLM and Jet Airways.

Now even ‘posh’ carriers like Swiss are looking to go 10-across:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/swiss-likely-to-join-b777-300er-ten-across-club

And the forthcoming B77X (not yet under production) will have a modified cabin which is specially designed for airlines to offer 10-across in Y.

So, whether we like it not, the trend is towards 10-across.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi PDTraveller,

Thanks for the review, really interesting to read what AA are doing now on a premium route from the UK to LA, a route on which there is huge competition.

Harry Monk, I do beg to differ, the review is well written and is giving posters the type of information that many of us want to read about the products and services being offered on routes that we fly regularly or ocassionally. These reviews help many of us to make decisions and choices about the suppliers we use and I for one believe that it is exactly the type of thing that this forum is for.

As a previous poster said, no one forced you to read the reviews and you comment was certainly uncalled for.

PDTraveller, if you can be bothered please review your return flight as I would be keen to know how comfortable the new seat is for sleeping compared to other carriers you might have used on the same or similar routes.

Have a great holiday.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@alexpo1 – I always use all flight sectors, its not worth the risk of having the ticket repriced. For the return, the ex Europe fares to Asia, “usually” allow you to break the journey in London. So I tend to use sector 4 as the first sector for my next trip.

@pdtraveller – AA from LHR is not one of my carriers, however, I would imagine that the only issue would be if AA did not open check in until 2 – 3 hours before departure. Other than that, I cant see there being a problem about accepting the bag in London before you start out in BRU. You have a perfectly reasonable reason for going to BRU….

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Let me join the chorus thanking pdtraveller for an interesting review, and castigating HarryMonk for a curmudgeonly, unnecessary and miserable post

The new AA seat has generated quite a bit of interest on these pages and I myself am looking forward to trying it in a month’s time. From your review, I am now looking forward to it even more! Just a couple more days before I can pre-order my entree 🙂

RichardB
    Participant

The title of the review is a bit UK-centric since I didn’t realise that “ex-EU” means trips by UK residents using two tickets, one of which starts in an EU country excluding the UK and a lot of the story is how to check bags at LHR for an AA booking which doesn’t start at LHR.

pdtraveller
    Participant

Have now made the return trip and can’t speak highly enough about the AA hard product. On the overnight flight from LAX this is an exceptionally comfortable bed with more shoulder space than most will need and leg room is not an issues even at 6ft ‘6… Not my height!

Food was again per ordered and again was wholesome and tasty without trying to be haute cuisine. As a result I would rate excellent and the ubiquitous ice cream sundae a great idea.

Breakfast was simple, omelet or cereal with fruit and just enough having had dinner. It was served about an hour out and was unhurried.

The crew were very mixed with some being utterly chairing while others less so. Galley gossip during the night was an issues and I know more about one crew members banking and utility details than I should or need to know!

Whilst the bed is terrific the blanket is hopeless and a more substantial cover is required. The pillow is fine but it is a pity that they did not provide larger of both given the obvious investment in the rest of product.

The in flight help your self bar was fully stocked with some very tasty looking tidbits but I never indulged.

The Admiral club in LAX is fine though not a patch on their London lounge.

Kerb side checking and baggage check was brilliant as I stepped off the hotel courtesy bus. They came to me as I had no idea I could use this.

US security was dire and makes LHR look professional!

I had 4 flights with AA including two domestic F services. These were nothing special however as a domestic business class I would rate very highly. The food and crew being good to excellent on both.

The 777-300 is however their standout product and I have no hesitation on recommending it.

AA are far from perfect; but I spend most time on the plan so lounges, whilst important, do not make up for poor inflight experience. I do winch at how crew talk to you but that I suspect is cultural in many ways and we are, after all, two nations divided by a common language!

For me it’s all about personal space, privacy and ability to relax.

AA new product delivers that in spades.

capetonianm
    Participant

pdtraveller : I enjoyed your review and found it informative and interesting, even though I rarely travel to the USA (by choice), as there are points raised which impact people with whom I work.

The comment by HarryMonk is valueless and childish, I do hope it won’t deter you from posting further reports here. As you can see, everyone else who has responded is grateful to you and appreciates your reporting style, which is anything but ‘boring’.

SimonS1
    Participant

Good review, thanks. Definitely worth considering for a future trip.

I presume Harry Monk has too much time on his hands to be making such pathetic comments.

highstreetken
    Participant

Why is Binman62 posting as pdtraveller?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls