EVA – Response to Forum comments

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• BPP
    Participant

Some months ago I asked for comments on the EVA Airways service LHR-BKK in ‘J’. This following repeated problems with Qatar changing timings/seating/aircraft.
    The return trip has recently been completed so in response to the many replies (for which I thank those who contributed), may I add my comments:
    Check in and security at LHR T2 was a breeze we were airside in about 7 minutes. The long treck to T2B was unforseen and is excessive.
    The Air Canada Lounge was acceptable – very well managed but not up to the Qatar Lounge in T4. The big communal dining table was a novel experience.
    Boarding good although 45mins late (quite normal I understand), clean/well lit aircraft and nice seat. Cabin crew well presented. Wellcome drink, PJ’s and thin matress provided immediately.
    It was nice to know that eating/sleeping time was not going to be an issue.
    Not so. The big problem was the very rushed first meal service. Why on a 12 hour flight it is neccessary to try to serve the whole cabin a four course meal in the first two hours of flight I don’t know. I did then get some sleep but disrupted several times by cabin crew stomping up and down the aisles. The washrooms were spotless and seemed to be quite large.
    Same with ‘Breakfast’ no time to properly digest before the next course! I gave up in the end which was a shame as the ‘english’ looked quite nice.
    If they only could adopt ‘dine on demand’ it would make a vast difference as the food and wine were most acceptable. However there was an obvious lack of knowledge regarding the wine list. We did use the pre-order facility.
    Return flight similar but I’m not too sure that 14 hrs even with the occasional walk round is good for the body. There is a sort of snack bar by the L2 door but it’s not exactly a recreational area.
    Would I use this service again? If the price was right then possibly. Would I reccommend it – why not!

BPP

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=922900]The big problem was the very rushed first meal service. Why on a 12 hour flight it is neccessary to try to serve the whole cabin a four course meal in the first two hours of flight I don’t know.[/quote]

The Eva Air flight departs LHR at 2135hrs. Maybe cabin staff wanted to serve passengers quickly so the latter could get more time to sleep en route.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Why on a 12 hour flight it is neccessary to try to serve the whole cabin a four course meal in the first two hours of flight I don’t know.

I have asked this same question in respect of various flights. The answer I was always given is that people may have spent a long time getting to the airport and then not had time to eat, so they board and they’re hungry and want to eat SASPO. As Alex said, they want more time to sleep.

I usually eat at the airport, and neither need nor want to eat on board when it’s a night time departure.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Maybe you are the lucky one – a lot of business travellers work until the last minute so eating on board is their only option and then they want to go to sleep so they can work again as soon as they arrive. For we working stiffs the rushed meal is therefore a good option.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Clearly the fast meal service is a horses for courses thing… hard working business types desperate for food and more relaxed travellers just that…more relaxed…

norbert2008
    Participant

I travel EVA on this flight every year. Last time I had plenty of time to try 3 lounges including Lufthansa Senitor (crowded) Singapour (v nice) and then lovely United’s long cocktail bar. Grazed but do enjoy eating on the flight as it passes the time. Found the service not rushed and suited me on my last flight I splet until breakfast which was amazing. I do pre select my main course both ways. The seat is very comfortable and service charming. The day flight i caught up with 5 films and enjoyed a lesurly lunch and dinner. Sadly on arrival no gate for us so a 30 min wait. i cannot leave for BKK until june this year and Swiss offering the best fare by far.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=922917] The Eva Air flight departs LHR at 2135hrs. Maybe cabin staff wanted to serve passengers quickly so the latter could get more time to sleep en route.[/quote]
    Dead right for me. I often board flights at midnight or later – and then a long meal service starts (although some airlines do speed it up). I never eat at home anywhere near that time, and have always eaten hours before the flight: I want to sleep quickly, and the light and noise of meal service bother me.

I’ve noticed that most people DO eat though, and I accept the wishes of the majority.

StephenLondon
    Participant

I do enjoy the EVA experience, and have never found the service rushed. Like others, I tend or pre-order my main course, and look forward to dining after take-off from LHR, but then am keen to get a good sleep. I have not had crew stomp up and down the aisles…most seem to weigh hardly more than a few kilograms, so they almost float past. I hope the OP gives them a chance again…it is a very decent, quality carrier.

BPP
    Participant

This is all fair comment. I still think that adopting a ‘dine on demand’ facility (other carriers are comming round to this) would be advantageous to both pax and crew.
    BPP

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=924021]This is all fair comment. I still think that adopting a ‘dine on demand’ facility (other carriers are comming round to this) would be advantageous to both pax and crew.[/quote]

When travelling in business or first for leisure, I love to savour the whole premium experience including the meals, so dine on demand is great.

But when it’s for work, ideally I like to eat and then have a quiet / dark cabin for several hours to sleep. Dine on demand means the cabin is usually less calm as people eat at various times and the lights stay on longer. Plus the crew don’t get as much of a break between services so they (and their unions) don’t like it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls