EVA Airways to join Star Alliance on June 18

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

Taiwan’s EVA Airways is set to formally join the Star Alliance network next month, with June 18th tipped for the official ceremony in Taipei.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/eva-airways-to-join-star-alliance-in-june

JohnHarper
    Participant

Does anyone know whether Eva’s join date of 18th June is still correct?

A search has revealed nothing.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

So 2 major S A members doing the Bangkok run…..interesting competition…who will give best miles?

HarryMonk
    Participant

Terry

I wonder how long that competition will last especially as Thai will be going to A380 on the LHR-BKK route

JohnHarper
    Participant

I would guess that if there is a casualty on the LHR – BKK service it will be neither TG nor BR. They both have much lower cost bases than the third player.

HarryMonk
    Participant

John

I was not expecting a casualty, more expecting that perhaps Thai and Eva would possibly carve the route up between themselves with Thai operating the route and Eva code sharing

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Harry

Highly unlikely. Judging by Eva Air’s pricing model on the Bangkok routes I can’t imagine that it could work closely with TG.

In any case, Eva Air needs Bangkok as an en route stop for its Europe to Taipei services which are tricky (for various aeropolitical reasons) to operate non-stop as CAL found with its short-lived London service.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Even although TG have been flying the old 747 second world bombers for years I must to admit to having always quite liked them and between the two its Thai that wins hands down.

Nothing wrong with EVA but always found LOS airlines just that bit more relaxed.

Used to be a Gold Card member and one time used an award from London-Sydney r/t in First Class…..top notch.

On the second leg I was up front on my own and couldn’t eat a thing …..pleeze sir have sum-ting…OK OK …a bit of cheese then..OK……chai

then they got too expensive….ouch

Before that I did lots of courier/upgraded flights mostly on China Air via the dam and loved them…..but the hangovers…argg…bit more sense now…or so he says.

Chardie
    Participant

I use the LHR – BKK – LHR route regularly. I used to fly with EVA but to be honest I never like the bed in Business class. Also the return flight time was no good to me.
    So it was a choice between Thai and BA and I chose BA.
    Since they stopped the onward leg to SYD it has been a dream using miles for upgrades, before that it was virtually impossible. Unfortunately with the planned flight timings changes in Oct it looks like I will be looking for another carrier that leaves LHR in the evening otherwise I will be obliged to overnight at LHR on the outward leg and BKK for the return as I live in UTH. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Apologies for going off topic a bit.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

EVA are introducing new seats in C which look like the LX/OS/AY seats so they should be good. TG are introducing the A380 at the start of the winter timetable so both are raising the bar between LHR-BKK in the near future.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls