European airports with fast passport scanning control

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

From a purely convenience point of view e-gates are a good thing, but it seems to me , its not so much an exercise in speeding up queues, rather replacing a salary with a machine. And I suppose the fact that I’m ignorant of the technology involved that scrutinizes the difference between the good guys and those who wish do us harm also makes me think that from a purely a security point of view we are much less safe than before.
    So overall, I’m in agreement with PM Welsh, especially when we have EU nationals being seduced by the evils of radicalism.
    The question I’d like to ask the Home Secretary is simply this…….
    With the exception of Homeland Security Kiefer Sutherland wannabees, “Why is it, that I never ever have any problems when entering HK or YVR or pretty much anywhere else, but on my return to the UK, am I likely to encounter, surly, overworked and seemingly stressed individuals welcoming me Home , Why ?

flyingcanadian
    Participant

I have used them at FRA and AMS with my 12 yrs old son! Excellent, and avoides any lengthy queues!
    However, arrive in the UK, and it states “NO CHILDREN UNDER 18!”

How primitive, and one has to join lengthy queues! Why is Europe so liberal and far ahead, and not the UK?
    Even in Canada, he can use his Canadian passport through the scanners!

TheSnail
    Participant

I use the eGates allover Europe (where available) and London airports. The only issue I always have is at Stansted – always says there are two people in the scan (no I do not have a back pack on), if i leave my passport in place it continues to read it and after 25 seconds or so lets me go through. Total time is around 35 secs. (timed 8th April around 4pm 🙂 ) Never happens anywhere else.

Alsacienne
    Participant

Stansted always refuses mine!! But it’s quicker to join the e-gates queue and then get processed manually when the machine throws its toys out of the pram!

fatbear
    Participant

All the scanning machines were out of order when I arrived at T4 last night. The advice was they would be working again “in a few minutes”. As there were less than 10 people in the normal queue I changed lanes even though only 2 desks were manned.

Unfortunately one of the people ahead of me had a problem with their passport so that desk closed whilst a supervisor was requested ( it doesn’t seem the practice to ask the problem person to stand to one side until the issue can be addressed and to process the next in line in the meantime – nor when the supervisor eventually arrives to let that person deal with the issue and have the desk official resume ! ).

The other desk was manned by perhaps the most inefficient jobsworth, with every passport check taking at least 2 minutes.

Of course the scanning machines came on and had I stayed where I was I would have been through at least 15 minutes earlier !

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls