Europe to Khartoum

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Looks like KQ is a 16 hour connection in NBO on way out and same coming back. So don’t think viable.

MS
    TK
    RJ
    ET
    EK
    EY
    QR

Well – what’s it going to be????

sparkyflier
    Participant

The suspense is building….

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I did not expect such a detailed and helpful response from such a minor question! Many thanks to everyone.

It depends who is paying, which is not decided yet. One source of the funds will probably only pay an economy fare. In that case, it will be MS. I have found their economy quite good for space, and I have no trouble navigating Cairo airport. If it is the other source and a business fare, then TK. Good food and wine (at least GVA/LHR to IST) wonderful lounge in IST, and a reasonable seat.

Globalti
    Participant

I can strongly recommend Royal Jordanian, great service and superb airport for your transit. I did Nicosia – Amman – Khartoum with RJ recently and thoroughly enjoyed myself….. until I arrived.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I hadn’t thought of RJ till you mentioned it Globati. I agree, a great airline and Amman is probably less chaotic than Cairo.

Globalti
    Participant

The new Queen Alia International airport is superb. There’s a great shawarma stall on the ground floor, Jordanian dinars only though.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

A follow-up to my original post. I have now done the Khartoum trip.

I had to leave from London, and return to Geneva, and one constraint I had not considered in my original post is that the Egyptair flight to Geneva is not every day, and does not fit well with the connections from Khartoum.

In the end, the flights were paid for by an international agency that will only pay for the cheapest economy, and I flew out with MS and back with TK,

Both were perfectly reasonable flights. Check in with both was excellent (“you cannot sit there” said the lady in London “that is a terrible seat”…. and I was placed elsewhere). Details like baggage worked perfectly. Transit at Cairo on the way out was very easy, although the MS gold card lounge is a little basic. Transit at IST on the way back was a little slow because it was rush hour at the connecting flight security check. One flight attendant on MS was a little grumpy: one seat on TK had a slightly defective recline. But overall, both were fine.

If anyone has the delusion that international agencies waste their money – well, I am happy to manage with the flights in economy in exchange for the armoured land cruiser with SW radio and heavy security when in the field.

Globalti
    Participant

You had heavy security in Khartoum? Why? Sudan is on the list of pariah states because it wouldn’t drop its pants and allow the USA to have an airbase there but I think that as far as terrorists are concerned Sudan is a backwater, of little strategic interest. Well, the north at least.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@Globalti – 08/12/2015 13:37 GMT

You got the ‘backwater’ bit correct, but left out a few minor issues such as a government that committed genocide on it’s own people in Darfur, a self-appointed murderer as head of state who currently has two arrest warrants to his name from the ICC, and leads a country that used to be home to Bin-Laden and numerous Jihadists. Yes you are probably right, Sudan is a Pariah state, but of its own sad making.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls