Europe to Khartoum

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I probably have to go back to Khartoum in October. Now that KLM has dropped it as a destination, I can see no direct flights from Western Europe.

I will probably be departing from GVA or LHR, and the two obvious choices are Turkish or Egyptair. Which would you choose?

I have used both quite a lot in the last year and my experiences with both (notwithstanding some of the comments on this forum) have been quite good.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I would choose TK – but depends on the schedules. Also a friend of mind tried Cairo Airport a couple of years ago and found it so disorganised he vowed never to go back. Another factor, is Egyptair a dry airline? How about ET down to Addis and then back up?

inthesandpit
    Participant

If you are in Oneworld how about BA or QR to DOH and then QR to Khartoum
    Last time i was in DOH it was on the departure board
    Of course QR is also an option from GVA

NTarrant
    Participant

I would suggest QR vis Doha. I have actually flown QR between Doha and Khartoum, not a bad flight on a A320, in business class

SimonS1
    Participant

I believe all the Gulf carriers fly to Khartoum now so plenty of options via Middle East.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Many thanks for the interesting answers.

My FF cards are with the Star Alliance and Sky Team, hence my looking first at TK and MS, now that KLM no longer go there.

Egyptair is indeed dry, but leaving from LHR I could charge up with excellent martinis in the United lounge, and starting at GVA the Swiss lounge is also well stocked. TK is, I believe, dry between IST and Khartoum, but again one could raise the blood alcohol level very well in the TK lounge at IST.

Interestingly, I do look out for the dryness or otherwise of airlines, but once I arrive in a dry country I do not miss the hard stuff at all.

ZKSmith
    Participant

Regarding Egyptair, CAI – KRT is normally operated on their A320 aircraft, which are fairly awful in both business and economy – overhead entertainment only, old seats, limited legroom. At least LHR – CAI is normally on their far better A330s, although the red eye seems to be a 737 at the moment.

You’ll probably be more comfortable on Turkish, especially on the KRT leg.

sparkyflyer – interestingly I find Cairo terminal 3 much easier to transit through than IST.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I know OneWorld but what about Royal Jordanian. Appears to have reasonable connections. 787 to Amman and then an A320 down (in October).

Not such a big dog leg as the other Gulf Carriers?

sparkyflier
    Participant

TimF I had not thought of that – seems a good idea – going via DOH etc really is a dog leg and a huge waste of time. If this was me I think ET or RJ would be the favoured options.. Or how about MEA (Skyteam), but not sure if they fly to Khartoum, but they do have more flights from LHR than RJ.

NTarrant
    Participant

If you are really brave there is Saudia via Jeddah or Riyadh.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

RJ have the better Business product on the longhaul legs from the look of it (if it is Business Class travel). But only 4:40 to Amman and then 3 onwards to KRT on the A320 which isn’t as good. ET are 7:20 to ADD and then 2 onwards. AMM-KRT is 5 times a week so possible might not be on date you’d want.

MEA don’t do KRT so they aren’t an option. Flight times though with RJ may not be nicest as land middle of the night – 1:10 connection out and 4:15 back.

NTarrant
    Participant

I spent 5 hours on a transfer at AMM, but the lounge is very nice, comfortable and some nice food. If I had to, I would do that transfer again.

SimonS1
    Participant

Not sure about the schedules but Kenya Airways would be an option for Skyteam.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry this is a bit late David, but i’d suggest Egyptair. I’m pretty sure it’s *A and it’s a more direct route. I’ve only had good experiences with them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls