Europcar Rental Rage

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just reading Ask Alex and I saw this article:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/ask-alex/2012/rental-rage

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday booking a car from LCY in two weeks time.

The rates I had were $ 250 as for some reason Europcar defaults me to the US site as a “US” resident.

When it noted my Swiss residence it went up to chf 488 which was what I was offered via my Swiss.com booking

I then used my uk address and it became £428

Ironically using my Accor top tier card and logging in that way, the price was £ 458. I’m told I get special rates when booking through the Accor.com site and they are right, 10% more. Very special!

All for a Renault Megane pay on arrival.

In the end I went to rentalcargroup.com and got it for £ 158. Job done!

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

All the pricing is a con and most of the time I never get the car I was told I was going to get. Never use lastminute.com carhire company there rubbish.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I find this site usually comes up with competitive quotes as it does a web search of multiple vendors.

http://www.travelsupermarket.com

I’ve saved a lot of money, using this site.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If you are able, create a bank of European addresses through friends.

Play the game back.

Such healthy European spirit!

RichHI1
    Participant

Gave up on Europcar years ago. Rate too high, hidden charges and not the car types I had booked. I need auto and they would always offer me a manual. Hertz is my favourite now and then Budget (Budget customer service in UK is not as good as Hertz or Avis).

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I just book Hertz, never a problem and the costs are always what I’m willing to pay.

NTarrant
    Participant

I find that all the car hire companies are as bad as each other. Avis Preferred is a bit of a joke, in some places it doesn’t work as they are franchises and twice in a row I have been kept waiting at Manchester.

Pricing of car hire is not transparent and there are too many variations regarding insurance whether zero excess or some other sum

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think the extra insurances are a rip off. It’s now, CDW, Super CDW and Passenger Accident Insurance. In addition they now charge for an extra driver – used to be free – and the biggest rip off of all, the buy a full tank in advance scheme.

I now refuse all the extra insurances and use either my MasterCard or Amex which have CDW insurance included. I refuse the full tank and just fill up before returning the car.

david90
    Participant

These are the techniques car companies use to drain us of our money. Although there are many companies in UK which are worth the while. You should always search properly before you spend your money.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls