EU to block access to aircraft safety records

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t know if this is scaremongering by the DM, a proposal or if it’s in effect, but I find it chilling that this information can be surpressed like this. I wonder if it would also apply to non EU aircraft conning into EU airspace who presumably would also have to report the incident to their own authorities.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3390556/Runway-accidents-board-fires-mid-air-safety-dramas-kept-secret-draconian-EU-plans-block-access-aircraft-safety-records.html

It’s very worrying I think.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

#voteleave ?

Daytripper
    Participant

#votestay

canucklad
    Participant

If I was adopting a totally cynical view here, I’d immediately suspect that this is very definitely a French initiative designed to protect their own interests.

Which leads me to think, what are they scared of. Or indeed wanting to cover up.

And if my cynical inner voice is correct, and it is a French initiative then you can pretty much guarantee it’s a done deal!

MartinJ
    Participant

Of course everything the Daily Mail says about the EU is true.

openfly
    Participant

I am def not a fan of the Daily Mail and sceptical of its reports.

But, in this case, there is an element of truth. Many countries in Europe have a financial interest in Airbus and their products, particularly France, Germany, Soain and the UK.

With so many incidents happening to Airbus aircraft, one can, cynically, assume that these governments want to gag the press from getting access to all the information regarding serious incidents, particularly as Boeing has a better image and lower incident risk.

RegSpotter
    Participant

This is a very sinister development if true. Aviation is as safe as it is today because of the open approach to reporting and investigating incidents and accidents . The EU’s approach is totally counter to the culture within the industry which has evolved to report and share experience in order to learn and avoid the same mistakes in the future . Aviation has developed an open culture which many others like the NHS could and should learn from . This is a very dangerous path to go down and reverses everything most of us in the industry believe in.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Presumably our government will still have access – maybe if we can use the FoI act to monitor Charlie’s demands to ministers we could also get this information as well?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls