Etiquette

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• esselle
    Participant

About to take my first long haul flight for over two years, and currently sitting in F lounge of a famous airline.

50% of pax busy shouting into their phones at high volume.

It didn’t use to be like this, or have I just become (even) grumpier over the last two years?

6 users thanked author for this post.

FrDougal
    Participant

It’s been like this long before the pandemic. Just that entitled bunch (I wont marginalise it to a specific generation as Iv seen older people who should know better behaving with far less consideration for others) who feel its acceptable to FaceTime in public, use their tablets without headphones etc etc!

1 user thanked author for this post.

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

Even if they have headphones on, they’re speaking in a high tone. You don’t need to be shouting to make a point.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

thank goodness VOIP calls are not allowed inflight… When there were telephones in aircraft seats (I think there still are) – they were never used…

5 users thanked author for this post.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Are they at least sat down, or pacing up and down the lounge as many do so everyone gets a chance to enjoy the disturbance.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

In the new Centurion Lounge at T3 there’s a special room for people who want to make phone calls. Of course it would rely on staff directing people into it, which seems unlikely.

I was in the Centurion Lounge in Dallas a couple of days ago, and the level of noise from some people (both on the phone and just talking with colleagues) was unbelievable – just no volume control at all.

3 users thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

On a domestic U.S. flight a couple of days ago and the pax behind me was watching some programme on his hand held device, not using headphones, volume up – which I only noticed as we came into land and I took my headphones off.
    Lack of self awareness or a gradual slide to ‘I’ll do as I please and I couldn’t care less about anyone else’, but etiquette certainly seems to be on the wane.

Boarded last as just had my laptop bag and there had been an altercation between pax over over-head bin space.
    I think this is more of a US issue as people like to bring the kitchen sink on board with them.

It’s that increasingly prevalent mentality (and it’s so terribly sad): “Everyone has rights; nobody has responsibilities”.
    🙁

Be kind. Be Considerate.

Stay safe!

6 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Martyn – I was on an AA night transatlantic flight a couple of years ago where a passenger did conduct a very long VOIP call and the crew did nothing, so we are not totally safe from that. US flights have long had the “no volume control” issue, but with phones it is now everywhere. Ah for the days when people wore a suit and tie to fly and behaved like my Dad. Now most of them behave like my dog.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Unless I am self-evidently going on holiday (e.g. to Gran Canaria) I still wear a jacket and tie to travel. People may laugh but I do find it helps. At smaller airports you get the eye of people quicker, which is particularly useful if you want to ask if there is a separate business class check-in. At check-in it could (occasionally) get you an extra couple of kilos on your luggage with no questions asked. At immigration, it creates a positive impression and generally I think people are more polite. All that, mainly for sake of a tie… money for old rope, really! 🙂

cwoodward
    Participant

Surely it is the airlines responsibility to promote (and police)a congenial atmosphere in both cabins and lounges if they have any interest in their customers comfort. Major airlines have been slow to understand that this noise pollution from uncaring pax has become an epidemic over the past 5 years or so or if they have understood the retention of customers has overridden any action however now that this nuisance has become so prevalent there are I believe commercial opportunities in promoting a congenial atmosphere. I have noticed that Asian airlines do make some effort in particularly JAL seem to promote a peaceful atmosphere but then again this may be more due to the natural politeness of the Japanese.
    This is a very competitive business and carriers that make real efforts to tackle this epidemic will be noted and will I am sure gain business from frequent flyers.
    Here in Hong Kong where we have many members clubs the use of mobile telephones is banned in most areas including bars and restaurants (and strictly policed).It is not a difficult policy to put in place providing that the rules are made clear and there is the will by the management to police them. In many years have never seen any problem arise and visitors accept the policy without complaint – because the rules are clear and properly and politely policed by the staff.
    Airlines were forced into banning smoking in aircraft and lounges and now it is the norm -is this so much different?

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls