Etihad vs BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• Anonymous

flier74
    Participant

Right, just needing some advice please. As a loyal BA customer and Card holder I am facing a dilemma on a journey from FRA to SYD in Business Class, should I choose Etihad over BA? The price is extremely competitive on EY’s behalf but is that going to change my mind? Does anyone have any experience with Etihad?
    I totally understand both can have ups and downs as after all it depends on the Crew on the day , let’s face it, but I am happy to hear about Etihad experiences, as I have never flown with them before. The set up is two people travelling to SYD and back on the 330 and 340-600 compared to Club World on the BA 747-400
    Help Please….

alexlondon
    Participant

There is no right answer, I’m afraid! The seat on BA is better. If you’re someone who wants to maximise sleep, BA is better. On the other hand if you want to have a “premium service,” Etihard is far better. Unlike BA, you won’t have to choose between desert or cheese, for instance – have what you want! Salt and pepper are in pots – not paper sachets. Etihad try to provide a “luxury” service. BA provides a great seat but a product that is decidedly mainstream – meals, in particular.
    Abu Dhabi is not the most comfortable airport to connect it – although I find it quite charming and like passing through.
    I am a BA Gold Cardholder but, for me and the route you mention, would choose Etihad. But… I am not a great sleeper and I do like to feel “looked after.” If that was less of a priority, I would focus more on the seat… and BA would win.
    Happy travels!

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi Flier74 !

Etihad has a real Premium inflight service ….you really feel pampered onboard and in the lounges ..they have their dedicated lounge in FRA too….their cabin crew can sometimes be among the best in the industry ( it depends on the team you have onboard on that day …that s pretty true !) …quality of food and drinks miles better than BA s …nothing to compare ….care much more genuine in most cases ,BUT the seat is not the best in the sky …you can sleep away ,it is flat and horizontal but rather tight …the aircraft looks and feels much more luxuriously appointed than BA s ……bearing the difference in price ,I believe it is an experience worth taking …you might get hooked to their FFP ..it is a funky ,punky scheme ..very much unlike the european ones ….give it a try !….
    Fcailities at their premium lounges in Abu Dhabi are indeed good …nice shower cubicles ,good food …Internet access ,etc….in short …a glittering product ,albeit different from good old BA s …!

Enjoy the ride !

flier74
    Participant

thanks for the prompt replies guys, I am really torn but it sounds good, like alexlondon I am a Gold Card holder with BA so gernerally my loyalties lay there but Etihad sounds a bit f “fresh air” after your comments and a look at the website.
    KSHaggag you are right, of course it depends on the onboard Crew on the day, there are good and bad everywhere….
    oh decisions…..
    is there a buddy seat on EY so lets say we choose two window seats but can still eat together?

KSHaggag
    Participant

As far as I can recall,there is no buddy seat ////..if u choose two window seats u will be one behind the other but it is not rotational and I don t think there was an ottoman or a buddy seating possibility ….window seats as u can see from the seatplan dont all of them have direct access to the window..that s the funny design /arrangement ….one of them does ,the one behind or in front is a bit indented …rr..did u get the image ???..more or less ???

KSHaggag
    Participant

Judging by the new seats of CX ,I would have advised u to fly Cathay via HKG since the new seats are perfect for a honeymoon like arrangememts ( those in the middle ) but they have NOT yet been introduced on all aircraft …..on some SYD flights yes ,but surely not on FRA flights …..moreover CX is a Oneworld member so u keep ur loyalty in the ((family)) ,but Etihad is pretty much a high quality premium product ..u won t regret it ….

flier74
    Participant

Thanks again, we did consider CX or QF too, but the problem with Cx is that you never know whether you get a flat bed with them or not and on QF you can only go flat on their A380 and those seats come at a premium rate and are hard to get via LHR, one option offered a 50 min trnasit time in SIn and thats far too risky, a minimal delay and that is you off the flight and then ou end up on seperate seats on god knows what carrier and aircraft. We definately want flat beds so it really is between BA and EY, at the moment we think EY but we will sleep over it again…maybe…

KSHaggag
    Participant

Another option to consider can be KE ….they definitely offer their latest product ..the flat bed Prestige seat on the B777-300ER flying from FRA to ICN….from ICN to SYD ,it is not horizontal ….I am not sure how attractive their fares from FRA are …

Asiana also has the Quadra Smartium staggered seats but am not sure if on FRA and SYD legs too ….

Good luck !

LuganoPirate
    Participant

For me the criteria would be comfort, fare and convenience. The fare is cheaper and apparently from reports I’ve seen the comfort and service are much better than BA’s.

That leaves convenience, and for me the deciding factor would be getting out in SIngapore for a leg stretch feeling haggard after a 12 hour flight and wanting nothing more than a hotel room and bed. Or getting out in Abu Dhabi for a plane change after a six hour flight, so still feeling reasonably rested and then hopefully sleeping most of the rest of the second flight.

In this case I would choose Etihad as they tick all my boxes.

True you will not get BA miles, and I don’t know your circumstances, but maybe you already have enough to qualify for the higher status with BA so one flight more or less with BA will not really change matters.

From a personal perspective, I prefer to fly according to my criteria rather than if I will get miles or not. Though to be honest if I find I’m a bit short towards the end of the qualifying period I make every effort to fly (in my case) Swiss to ensure I keep my Gold status level.

BABenji
    Participant

I flew Etihad SYD – AUH last October in J. The food was excellent, the seat was really comfortable. The only (minor) grumble I had is that it isn’t a complete bed, that is, there is a section of the bed missing between seat and otoman when fully extended (a few inches if memory serves). It is a proper flat bed with plenty of width at the shoulders. I had a window seat and was impressed with the level of privacy it afforded. As the seats have a staggered layout at the aisles, you are not required to climb over anyone to get out, which can be a little annoying with BA whether you are the climber or the climbee. There was also pretty good storage as well.

The service was prompt and efficient, but a little robotic. There was a lack of banter and generall chirpiness that one seems to get with BA long haul.

Another slightly annoying factor is the sanitisation of the films and TV shown to remove any naughty words etc.

It’s a bloody long run from AUH – SYD and vice versa, so comfort is important and on this point, Etihad scores very well.

KSHaggag
    Participant

I do endorse fully LuganoPirate and BABenji s approach !….yes ,definitely ,,If u are well off already with your BA Gold status renewal threshold ,then go for a more luxurious service ,get pampered ,taste the new ,fresh cabins ,the EY lounges at FRA and AUH and discover what this NEW blood is all about ..you are already quite familiar with good old BA ..moreover ,save those extra pounds to subsidise another upgrade on another trip ….
    Enjoy it !

Potakas
    Participant

Flier74,

Here is a trip report that will help you,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1215650-etihad-j-syd-lhr-syd.html

I agree with the others, if you are OK with your Gold status try something different. Etihad will hardly let you down.

Binman62
    Participant

Not sure what your btravel dates are but QF and BA have the same fare on 747 or A380 in June. There are dates when the difference is substantial however that is due demand not fare differentiation. The issue ex the UK is the woeful value of the pound and the extraordinary value Australians are getting when here. QF flights into Europe are very very busy and filled with Australians. BA on the other hand is not getting as much of this traffic as their frequent flier programme does not run in OZ. As a result locals travel with their national carrier.

SIN in 50mins is a breeze incluidng bags. I would not let that put you off.

Your departure point also plays a part. EY will almost ceratinly offer a car to and from airport on departure and arrival and your flight will be 1 stop. BA do not offer cars and you need to stop twice including a T5 T3 transfer and all the risks that that involves.

BA is good but not that good and so I would opt for FRA AUH SYD on EY.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi Flier 74 !

Oupsss..oh yeah !….I forgot about the complimentary limousine transfer offered by EY at both ends of the journey…I can recall that they had a promo ,whereby you were entitled to one free night of accommodation in AUH if u purchase a business class ticket on a longhaul journey via AUH but am not sure whether this still applies ..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls