Etihad \'in talks\' with Star Alliance.

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Looks like Etihad has well and truly given up on its ambitions on forming its own alliance and instead is looking at ‘working’ with Star….whether this leads to EY becoming a member of Star is yet to be seen. Gulf Air has also stated they wish to join an alliance.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transport/400233-new-era-gulf-carriers-look-to-join-aviation-alliances

1 user thanked author for this post.

travelsforfun
    Participant

Interesting to see Etihad finally considering joining an alliance. But I am surprised it would be Star Alliance, not least because it pits it against existing member Turkish Airlines, with a very similar hubbing strategy (not to mention what the alliance’s lead carriers in Europe and Asia think of the airline). Skyteam might make a bit more sense for Etihad, it already has a partnership with Air France-KLM.

alainboy56
    Participant

@travelsforfun — and is still a part owner in whats left of AZ, after all, they sank hundreds of millions into that bottomless pit so they still have some equity.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Etihad would not ” dare ” approach Skyteam after what they did to Alitalia, so I believe AF/KL will be quite reluctant to talk to them in the first place.

The point now is NOT which alliance to join but whether Etihad would in the first place add ANY value to the existing alliances.

They have been syphoning off customers from LH/BA/AF/LX/KL/AZ, etc on the Europe/Asia axis for a few years now, playing on price, however premium customers specifically realized how much they have been betrayed by Etihad who had started silently to cut most of the premium services they have been singing praises of and boasting, starting from the food served on board in all cabins (Business and First notably) being reduced in quality and quantity, to the perks offered in their AUH hub lounges ,to many other features.

Today, many travellers are facing a situation where their EY Guest accounts show a large amount of miles in their balance but which are worth muchhhhhhhh less than what they used to two/three years ago.

I don’t see Etihad adding value to STAR; well rrrr…Australia ????

No, STAR has it covered by SQ with a fantastic deal with the LH Group carriers on the Europe/Australia via Asia run. Where else ???

AspirationalFlyer2
    Participant

It might be good from a passenger perspective to help use up any small balances of Etihad miles (which I think are difficult to use currently)!

Now that Qatar has been in OneWorld for a while, I wonder what the perception of other OW airlines is. Have Qatar been a useful addition either from a revenue or profit generation perspective or there is a certain marketing kudos to them being a member?

alainboy56
    Participant

@AspirationalFlyer2 – Well it has certainly been beneficial to BA. Their OW partners and even part owners in IAG Group, have provided many aircraft to BA over the past year or so.

From a personal point of view, I am using BA (due to where I live), when normally without hesitation I would have used QR, and by inserting my QR FFP No. into the PNR, my Privilege Club status automatically comes up on the BA reservation. This month have also flown AY using the same QR FFP and everything is recognised.

Using AY and Finland as an example, although a recent addition to the network, HEL is now served twice daily, as opposed to the initial A320, by the addition of a daily B788 from DOH. AY are quite strong in the Far East, however QR must be serving the Australasian market and the African routes for their OW partner.
    So yes I do believe QR are beneficial to the OW alliance.
    They have also been increasing flights to CPH and ARL, I believe at least twice or more daily, so for sure they are stealing business away from STAR partners SAS with ease.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls