Etihad cuts baggage allowances

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

As reported in the Independent, Etihad has taken the scissors to economy fare baggage allowances – I note BT published an article entitled ‘Etihad cuts premium fare baggage allowance’, but is seems Y pax are affected, too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/etihad-baggage-allowance-halved-economy-uk-passengers-luggage-policy-change-flights-a8187426.html

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks, FDOS – this really made me chuckle. I am still trying to work out how this represents greater customer convenience? Varying baggage allowances by route/ region as well as type of Economy ticket is a recipe for chaos and confusion, I would have thought.

While I use Qatar quite often and have flown Emirates frequently in the past, I have never used Etihad. Probably won’t bother now……

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Whenever a company reduces a benefit or service, it’s always portrayed as being “for our customers benefit and convenience”. It never is though!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I am still trying to work out how this represents greater customer convenience?

Mohammad Al Bulooki said the new policy “provides greater convenience and customer benefit while enhancing the travel experience”.

Sounds like a load of Bulooki, doesn’t it? 🙂

capetonianm
    Participant

They must have cut and pasted it from BA’s recent drivellings about ‘enhancements’.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=849180]Whenever a company reduces a benefit or service, it’s always portrayed as being “for our customers benefit and convenience”. It never is though!
    [/quote]

That’s right, and it is mind-boggling. It reminds me of the similar idea “if a lie is big enough, everyone will believe it”, which has a ring of truth about it for me.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Thanks FDOS_UK – some economy passengers have indeed seen their allowance reduced, but others have actually seen it increased. It’s a complicated situation as the carrier has different policies according to the route served.

Etihad reduces checked luggage allowance on premium fares

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=849165]Thanks, FDOS – this really made me chuckle. I am still trying to work out how this represents greater customer convenience? Varying baggage allowances by route/ region as well as type of Economy ticket is a recipe for chaos and confusion, I would have thought.
    [/quote]

+2
    Why airlines can’t standardise allowances to 20kgs Y,2×20kgs Y flex/full fare and Y+,3x20kgs J,and 4×20kgs F,etc and charge additional with maximum 20kgs each item to reduce injuries!
    I believe NO and a few wise airlines already going that way.

traveldoc1
    Participant

To be fair, the allowances still seem to be reasonable. But why on earth do they resort to this double speak (aka Orwell 1984) to try to justify things? Who do they really think they’re kidding – and they just make themselves look even more ridiculous than they already are.

esselle
    Participant

I knew MAB well when he worked for ADAC.

Say something for long enough and everybody will believe it.

Same messaging when they cut the limo service.

Edski777
    Participant

Never mind the amount of luggage allowed, but who in the world needs an allowance of more than say 20 kg? I always wonder what people are carrying then. What flightlevel is proposing: 40 kg in Y flex and up to 80 kg in F, who would carry that much? If you have that much luggage I would say: use a cargo handler.
    The same goes for carry-on luggage. It is incredible how much people drag into the cabin nowadays. And some of them can’t even lift it into the luggage bins. Just imagine when that weight drops out.

I’d say: lower the limits and standardize across all airlines. 20 kg for y, 30 kg for J and 40 kg for F, 10 kg for carry on should do it. If you need more: pay for it. It’s better for almost everybody and certainly for the environment.

Oh, I have to admit: I’m a “light” traveler. I never have more than 15 kg to check in.

NicEvans
    Participant

Sad that every news item on Etihad seems to be on them cutting services:
    Cutting Limos
    Cutting pajamas in business class
    Cutting baggage allowance..
    Cutting the little benefits that made a distinctive service.
    Copying BA?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=849349]Never mind the amount of luggage allowed, but who in the world needs an allowance of more than say 20 kg? [/quote]

Seriously??

Well, let’s see:
    Businessmen* who need to take multiple sets of formal wear and/or equipment with them
    Salesmen* ditto
    Students who need to take books, revision folders, etc
    Parents with young children
    People attending weddings or other special events who need extra outfits
    People travelling to multiple destinations with different weather (eg one hot one cold)
    Skiers/golfers/divers (continue ad nauseam for other sports needing heavy equipment)
    People who like to take a couple of nice bottles of wine with them (this is VERY important!)
    etc etc

Having at one time fitted into every one of the above categories except sales, I can easily see how 20kg would be quite inadequate. As it is, on our trips back to the UK we often do a lot of shopping there which we bring back home to HK – either things which are unobtainable at home or which are much cheaper in the UK. It is perfectly normal for me to travel back with 30 or 40 kg of luggage, and often quite a lot more.

I would add that I am also a past master at travelling light – I used to go on 2-3 day business trips with nothing but a pilot case, which contained toiletries, formal wear, casual wear, work documents, computer and printer. I just can’t be bothered any more, it is far too much like hard work. I would rather take too much than too little nowadays.

* No intention to be sexist, just using the most popular term!

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

That’s a fair enough comment…. With the savings made on fuel and also the additional income from no doubt selling another piece of luggage, it goes without saying they will of course be ploughing in this extra money to offer more spacious seats and heightened on board services!!!!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls