Etihad change to mixed fleet Ex LHR!

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

MarcusGB
    Participant

I Went to check a redemption booking for early next year made some months ago, before Etihad changed their FFP, as i had problems with them texting “re-schedules” for every flight from October.
    Set as it stands to travel in Business, the “All LHR A380” service we heard of, will not be in early 2016, perhaps from the timetable already!

For Mid February, on my date of travel, the A380 and Business Studio has been replaced by an A346 with Pearl Business Class. So i checked the other flights for that day, and each one has a different aircraft type…

LHR – AUH
    =========
    09.15hrs – A346
    14.05hrs – A380 (Why would you want to arrive at 1.20am in AUH?!)
    20.05hrs – B773

Checking different days there is no consistency at all, each day is completely different! Even in a months time in November, some days are A380’s others mixed, varying day by day. each of the weeks ahead.
    This means for those who very much enjoy the new Business Studio’s or First Apartments, or Economy Guests a new more spacious seat, and All new features cabins, they will be getting older Coral, Pearl and Diamond Cabins.

Etihad has made no announcement I am aware of for these changes.
    My Redemption booking was on the A380, now changed to the A346. I have not been notified about the change in Cabin or seating or aircraft, just texted about schedule changes, when actually there were none in terms of time, remaining the same.

So be careful if you have a redemption booking expecting the new Cabins, or if you have a purchased booking ahead, as you may well find your Aircraft, cabin, and seat has been changed. Very sneaky and This will not prove popular?

I shall be cancelling my Redemptions, (free of charge to Gold and Platinum members and a full refund of miles).
    I have gone into several bookings to find the seats all vacated, and had to take it up with a Duty Manager at AUH as i flew in a few days ago.

Running an A380 that arrives at 1.30am, with no connections until 7-10am onwards, or checking into your hotel at 3am, seems of little use to me.

All my chosen and allocated seats have been wiped off all bookings, and on some, the Chauffeur cars also Cancelled! I had to go through each booking, and in some cases get the Manager to re-allocate back the original seating i had printed out.

These Aircraft, Cabin, and seat style changes as with many Airlines such as SQ, TG are very annoying, especially when you travel on services that are sold as new Cabins and up to date features.
    Etihad Travellers beware…

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Other than having to visit the Saudi-Gulf area why fly there? If I have to fly east then I certainly don’t want to wake up in the middle of the night in Abu Dabi and the like to connect to my next flight.

The only reason must be price – as a Business traveller why pretend to be a backpacker – get a direct or easy connect flight with a flat bed that gets you to the destination when you wake up ?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We last wrote about this in August

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101948/etihad-adds-third-a380-to-heathrow

But as we said there

“Etihad now flies the A380 on all three services – EY11/12, EY17/18 and EY19/20. However, looking ahead to September, it appears that an A340 aircraft will be rostered once or twice a week onto the EY17/18 and EY19/20 services.

As this differs slightly from week-to-week, readers are advised to check the plane type before booking.”

Checking a random week in February 2016, EY12 and EY20 are A380s, but EY18 is a B777.

On the return both a A340-600 and a B777 are being utilised (on EY11 and EY17 respectively).

MarcusGB
    Participant

Etihad offer 1-2 night complimentary stopovers at a hotel you choose, (Dubai or Abu Dhabi), along with Chauffeur cars start and end of your trip up to 100 miles, as for the stopovers. The departure and Arrivals Lounges, feature far more and higher quality, at a dedicated Premium Terminal.

There are no European Airlines that match the normal standards of Etihad or what comes with it, they have all made such cutbacks.The new 787-9 i flew on a few days ago have Business Studios, and First on the A380’s, have apartments. Their Business class is better than most Airlines First travel experience.

Travelling down to Australia, for Sydney it is 15 hrs from AUH, so the stopovers are welcome, and a few days sun and relaxation are beneficial. You are getting better value with around £800 + worth of benefits for the same fare as other Airlines, often at less.

Plenty people opt for it, as their flights are always full.
    Emirates down the road, have done very well out of flyers wanting and willing to experience changing or stopping over.
    But i do agree, Far East is quicker and easier if you have little (or do not manage) your own travel time, or with one direct flight from Europe.

After the fanfare of an all A380 service Ex LHR, it is sudden mixing aircraft even in November, it will not please many travellers, being sold the new Style cabins and seats in all classes. They appear to be putting the A380’s on American routes- NYC, alongside the 787-9 to Washington?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls