Etihad Bids for BMI?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

AussieM
    Participant

In Muscat at the moment….
    It was reported this eve on Middle East news, that Etihad were in behind the scenes talks to buy BMI.
    Anyone any ideas?

We know that BMI has apparently to be sold end of this yr…

Does this mean the end to the diamond Club scheme, & the link with SA? Hold the miles of redeem?

If so, perhaps its time to redeem al those miles, as they sure wont be worth the same or have the flexibility of Star A, if they go over to Etihad.

Do Etihad really want to move into the European market taking BMI?
    not really a good time surely in the current state of Industry affairs…?

20-Horse
    Participant

Hmmm, heard that as well. I suppose it was going to happen sooner or later. I hope that Etihad honour the miles! Sadly, it is no Star Alliance. I wonder how they will get the 50% out of Lufthansa, as the obligation for Sir Michael to sell his stake to them on first option will not go away. I don’t know, you slog it out for years to build enough miles to have some fun with and then someone comes along and pulls the airbus out from under your feet. Very depressing.

AussieM
    Participant

Indeed!

Perhaps our horse will have to be more a donkey…Low Cost, as BMI has become…

For sure as a Silver tEihad member, its not as easy to earn miles to redeem, its an expensive scheme compared to Etihad & not as flexible, or alligned to other Airlines.

You are able to purchase BMI Diamond Club miles…maybe its the time to get ur max, & make a Star All. booking, part miles /part cash.
    A 1 way Business Class Europe to Oz, is 37,500 miles & a few hundred £. The tickets cost £3,000 return these days so worth it!

Course, No booking with SQ these days, they wont release seats on A380 or 773 services anymore!

I think its best to ditch BMI miles, they certainly wont retain the 50% Miles/cash benefit.
    What on earth would Etihad want to buy BMI for..its hardly comparitive in style, market, Or prestige – perhaps they want the slots at LHR or feeder flights to its network?

Not sound like anything more than this…Quite a joke to place a BMI & an Etihad Cabin crew together…competition: which is the Etihad crew member?!!!
    Perhaps the first one to charge for a coffee?!!!

No…best to use the miles up n close it off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
The forum ‘Etihad Airlines’ is closed to new topics and replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls