Etihad Airways plans to serve Scotland in 2015

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• conshaldow
    Participant

On the speculation of which airport will get the route – It makes sense that it will be EDI rather than GLA. I’m sure QR and EY would rather go up against another fairly new operator in the area than instantly go head to head with a well positioned veteran in the same airport (i.e. EK in GLA). Personally I think EK would chew either of them up early on in the aircraft loads battle. But it will be good for competition to have 2 options out of an alternative airport.

On the prospect of ABZ – EY are right, the ABZ market isn’t big enough for just the oil market at present. The best thing EY can do is work on this, getting both tourism board for the highlands onboard and also working with the oil companies to ensure that loads are big enough to provide a stable and consistent ABZ-AUH route. It is possible and 5 years down the line this may be a reality.

On the idea this boosts a Scottish YES vote – I agree somewhat. It is something the SNPs have said they will lower and eventually abolish and it would be a welcomed bonus getting flights a few quid lower than our neighbours down south. However, I don’t think the average voter will take this into account this when making their decision this September (although as an advocate for the removal of ADP it will definitely be on my mind).

Papillion53
    Participant

Now Canucklad – fear not dear laddie, we will be safe. “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn’t. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn’t be. And what it wouldn’t be, it would. You see?” 😉 🙂

I’m sure you all know this famous quote and I think it makes much more sense than the tales from “Alex in Blunderland.”

Well, I guess these airlines do their “sums” but one only has to look at the massive office developments and new house building going on in and around Aberdeen, to see that the north east of Scotland is surely experiencing a major growth right now.

As for the removal of APD influencing anyone’s vote in September – you’ve got to be kidding, right???!!!

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Papillion

Alas sometimes I fear our Westminster lot currently stride about like Mad hatters, so I’m still in the neutral camp.
    Unfortunately every time David, Gideon and especially Alistair Carmichael , as well as their other doomsayers tell me how thankful we all should be that England keep us from turning into “Scotmalia” the more I question why they are so vocally negative about our ability to manage without London !!

With Willie Walsh and St Michael being surprisingly positive about independence in relation to BA & FR, obviously because APD is their gripe, so the benefits to abolishing the tax is clearly going to be something they’re going to champion.

For Alistair Carmichael to dismiss APD as an irrelevant tourist tax is just treating me as having the same intelligence of the Rangers supporters I know, who are voting “No” purely based on the fact that Rangers are British not Scottish.

Sadly ,Wee Eck’s team didn’t bother challenging him on the damage this Westminster imposed tax is having on team UKPLC ….facts such as…

• The World Travel and Tourism Council estimates that the UK’s APD cost the economy 91,000 jobs and £4.2 billion in additional revenue in 2012 alone.
    • Another independent report stated that by reducing or abolishing APD would result a) in a significant increase in the UK’s Gross Domestic Product and b) would increase the revenues to the Treasury from other taxes as a result of this increased economic activity.
    • Continental Airlines acknowledged that they would have abandoned flights from Belfast to the US if APD rates from Northern Ireland hadn’t been reduced

But in classic bully tactics, if you shout the lie loud and often enough people start to believe it as a truth. And Alistair Carmichael has been chosen by the No campaign as that loud mouth Bully !

Anyway Papillion look out for a new topic that I’m going to start!!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls