Ethiopian Airlines B737 crash

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

• Ahmad
    Participant

The French BEA saying the same thing:

15324F79-CF39-40E2-9DF3-6D33083AFB96

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Ahmad
    Participant

Interesting interview with the author of that article by NPR:

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/18/704373869/seattle-times-questions-certification-process-of-boeings-737-max

1 user thanked author for this post.

traveldoc1
    Participant

I’ve seen Dominic Gates interviewed a few times on BBC World with regard to the B737 MAX issues and have really enjoyed and appreciated his analysis.

canucklad
    Participant

Apparently subpoenas have been issued to Boeing and an investigation has been instigated into Boeings certification process.
    I wonder how much the FAA will be implicated if the rumours of their abdication of responsibility/sign off back to the manufacturer holds true.
    Seems like the investigation was started after a “whistle blower” contacted the Department of Justice.

Not good news for Boeing and more importantly brings into question the credibility of the FAA and it’s inclination to be much closer to business pressures than their need to protect the rights of consumer /passenger commitments

christopheL
    Participant

« Not good news for Boeing and more importantly brings into question the credibility of the FAA and it’s inclination to be much closer to business pressures than their need to protect the rights of consumer »

I am not sure Boeing is the sole company to be « much closer to business pressures than their need to protect the rights of consumer ». My question (not limited to airlines !) is : which listed (and even unlisted) company does the opposite ?

penfold69
    Participant

Of course it makes sense for companies to be close to the regulator, as it benefits the company. This happens all over. However, the regulator is there to regulate and to ensure the company operates safely and to protect the rights of the consumer. The reason they exist, is because we all know that most companies cannot be trusted to put consumers before profit. Therefore, they should keep an appropriate distance/relationship between them and the company.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

A pretty horrendous performance by the FAA…. what is the point of such organisations if they are in industry’s pockets…

capetonianm
    Participant

Apparently Garuda cancelling orders for 737max, first carrier to do so.

Feeling quite glad I’m on an A320 this morning and 777 tomorrow!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Doomed Jets Lacked 2 Safety Features That Boeing Sold as Extras

As the pilots of the doomed Boeing jets in Ethiopia and Indonesia fought to control their planes, they lacked two notable safety features in their cockpits.

One reason: Boeing charged extra for them…..

2 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi Tom, do you have more info on your last post 924430?

Ahmad
    Participant

An interesting and detailed Explainer by Reuters mainly suggesting that the pilots could have simply disengaged the system. A lot of speculation will be done by the media until the preliminary report of the BEA is published. IMHO best to wait rather than speculate and in the meantime keep your fingers crossed that other fly-by-wire planes remain safe when the computers go on the blink.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=924433]Hi Tom, do you have more info on your last post 924430?[/quote]

Yes, sorry if the link didn’t work…

“Boeing’s optional safety features, in part, could have helped the pilots detect any erroneous readings. One of the optional upgrades, the angle of attack indicator, displays the readings of the two sensors. The other, called a disagree light, is activated if those sensors are at odds with one another.”

Ahmad
    Participant

Two more articles from the New York Times I found interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/business/boeing-737-crashes.html

I sincerely hope that both the lack of training and features deliberately hidden from the flight crew are limited to the 737MAX, but I wonder …

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls