ESTA – Fake renewal reminders?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

jonathanmiller
    Participant

I have this morning received not one but two identical emails purporting to come from the US Department of Home Security telling me to renew my ESTA application since my existing authorisation ” … will expire within the next thirty days” and giving a link (which looks genuine enough) at which to do so.

I am tempted to think this is a scam because (a) my ESTA does not run out until mid-2011(I have checked my facts here by going – not via the given link – to the ESTA website and checking validity) and (b) the repetition of the email feels odd and un-government-like.

Does anyone know if this is indeed a scam ….. either by some unknown third party to obtain passport etc details and generally have a good phish … or by the US government seeking to advance the moment at which I shall have to fork out greenbacks to renew my application to enter their country?

Thanks for your wisdom as always, gentlemen. Jonathan

watersz
    Participant

well if you know it definatly only runs out mid 2011 then ignore it if you have made previous app’s then it may be from one of these
    if in doubt apply again
    but this will cost you
    like most people we were advises by our company to apply in sept for a new esta before they started charging already having a valid esta makes no diffrence to applying for a new one

Capetonian
    Participant

Just check the link by hovering your mouse over it to see where it goes. It will almost certainly not be the genuine ESTA site, and this you will know beyond doubt it’s a scam, but it sounds to me as if you already know that!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls