ESTA – Denied boarding for an expired ESTA (which was due to expire in 2023)

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• miningguy
    Participant

My colleague, in IST due to fly out with Turkish Airlines has been denied boarding due to an expired ESTA. When he looks on the ESTA website, it states it as “expired” even though a check days ago said it was valid till 2023. About 10 others have also been denied boarding for the same reason. Turkish Airlines true to their name are just shrugging their shoulders.

Has anyone had an experience with this? (not Turkish Airlines but the ESTA complexity).

1 user thanked author for this post.

DanielRawson
    Participant

Could mean they have cancelled the ESTA. Happened to a friend of mine. Seems US immigration review the passenger list before flight goes and if they decide they don’t want you to travel they cancel the ESTA. Don’t ever expect to get to the bottom of it though. Airline will also struggle to help you as they will struggle to get the information from USA.

MS
    Participant

[postquote quote=1112292]

I don’t understand why you’re giving Turkish Airlines the dirty look when it’s not even their fault or responsibility to look into the validity of the ESTA. This is down to the passenger, just like any other visa problems.

I just hate it when people blame others when it has nothing got to do with them.

3 users thanked author for this post.

miningguy
    Participant

Yes we suspect we will never find out the reason. My colleague is now re-applying for an ESTA via the standard website route. Is that the approach your friend took? Were they successful or was there a long wait?

JasmineBear
    Participant

Actually had a related problem……
    Recently booked with BA, but updated my ESTA about a week before travel and was approved (Valid through August 2023), but in parallel, was waiting for my NIE to arrive courtesy of US CBP and a US visa. NIE duly arrived a few days before travel was due. Appointment at US Embassy to get US visa did not arrive in time.
    On the day of travel, I tried to check in at LHR T5 (I hadn’t bothered with Verifly due to the horror stories I had read about its usefulness or lack of, so no online check-in), ….. “Do you have an ESTA?” …. “Why yes, I entered it on the system under pre-flight requirements?”
    BA had no record of it. So I pulled out a paper copy and after a bit of to and fro, also showing my NIE paper copy, they let me board
    Duly arrived in US, and used my Global Entry, but was not waived through as per usual and went to a secondary CBP review after showing them my ESTA paper copy. It turns out US CBP cancelled my ESTA when my NIE was approved but my visa had not arrived, through their mistake…. I actually received an apology from the Secondary review Customs Officer for the inconvenience and their error, after they checked the system vs. my paperwork, and they had reinstated my ESTA.
    My take away of the story… always bring a paper copy

maxgeorge
    Participant

JasmineBear, if you received an apology from anyone involved with the US Immigration system, I’d have it framed.

In the last three weeks, arriving firstly at DFW, subsequently at LAX, as a Global Entry arrival, the unsmiling uniformed martinets treated me as an irritating annoyance.

In contrast, my welcome and processing at FNJ, while always thorough, has always also been polite and helpful.

FNJ is Pyongyang.

miningguy
    Participant

Unfortunately Turkish Airlines would not accept the paper copy my colleague had as proof. He finally managed to call the CBP who pointed out that it should be the airline sorting it out. TA said the oppostie so a circular situation occured. Anyway moving forwards he applied for a second ESTA yesterday which was cancelled again hours later, he applied for a third and managed to board this AM to O’Hare.

anyonebutba
    Participant

I CAN CONFIRM IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE AIRLINE TO SORT AN ESTA ISSUE, THEY WOULD HAVE NO ACCESS TO DO SO, IN ANY CASE. NOBODY CAN ACCESS THE US GOVT SYSTEM OTHER THAN THE US GOVT

Frederic
    Participant

Calm down… no need to shout

4 users thanked author for this post.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Airline has no responsibility to sort an ESTA or to get one reinstated. A Paper copy is meaningless as US may well cancel an ESTA after it is issued. A bit unlucky but there would be a reason why the US authorities kept cancelling it – though trying to figure that out with US authorities may be a challenge.

If it was me on my return to originating country and if a need to travel to the US on a regular basis I’d definitely be in touch with consulate / embassy to ascertain what was happening and get a Visa sorted if needed.

But Turkish bear no responsibility on this situation.

6 users thanked author for this post.

FrequentlyFlying
    Participant

[postquote quote=1112404]

How so? Are there no Global Entry kiosks at those border points? I’ve never so much as looked at a US immigration official in the 5 or 6 years I’ve had my Global Entry Trusted Traveller status.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Indeed there are, Mr FF.

But in the case of LAX, on Sept 29 last, 3 passport readers were not working, and mine malfunctioned. The attendant ICE man was less than helpful.

In the case of DFW, Aug 23, no problem with the machines, but we were then funneled into the general mob line for a Customs check by an agent who berated some arrivals ahead of us for not understanding English.

In contrast, the DPRK inspectors at FNJ, despite being very thorough and initially intimidating, are patient, English speaking and even, on two of my three arrivals, wished me a pleasant stay.

Plus it’s easier to get a DPRK visa than an ESTA. €50 to koryogroup.com and it’s yours.

Pre-Covid, of course.

usctrojan310
    Participant

If you love FNJ so much go there don’t go to the USA.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls