ESTA and new passport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

stevescoots
    Participant

Getting a new passport tommorrow. I still have 12 months of my preflight approval left registered to my current passport. Do I need to complete another one with the new passport number (and obviously pay) or can I just turn up with my new and old passport.

the website is a bit rubbish to say the least for information

stevescoots
    Participant

ignore that, got the answer..yes i do. More hoops to jump thru.

Bucksnet
    Participant

British citizens can have more than one passport, I think up to 6 in total.

If your ‘old’ passport is still valid then you can use it.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can second that Bucksnet. I’m dual national and applied for ESTA with my Swiss passport. Then took my British one by accident. It only dawned on me halfway over the Atlantic at which point I started to worry. Needlessly as it turned out as they did the usual fingerprinting, stamped the passport and I was through.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I meant they can have more than 1 UK passport.

stevescoots
    Participant

what is the original passport is not valid anymore (only 18 months old but full) and you take the old one with you and a new one?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Can I remind those that need to apply or renew ESTA, to be wary of the internet gateway used for the online application.

It should cost $14 (not £14 ot £34) and should take no longer than 10 minutes for the process to be completed.

There are travel / visa companies who will charge more to complete the process, but the reality is once you have found the official site, it is not at all challenging.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Thats the one that I used at Christmas for our wee sail to New York on the Queen Mary 2.
    Easy and straightforward and wife got her response in( as above) 10 minutes but mines took until the following day.I must have sounnded sus or summit but to quote Charlie Drake…I dont know whyyyy….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

TerryMcManus24 – 01/07/2012 16:03 GMT – I wish the flight reviews to the left of the main threads read “Flight, Ship & Train reviews”

Would love to hear a detailed report on the xrossing as its on the agenda for 2013 for Mrs S and I (or me, depending on whether the English teacher is going to correct)!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, I was also taught to say, when Mrs. LP and I made the journey it was great. We went West, but with hindsight I’d probably go East next time. You’ve six days to adjust to the time difference rather than 6 hours!

Coming from Switzerland and not wishing to risk missing the boat, we stayed the night at the Hilton in Southampton. This was 4 years ago but they had a special rate including a free transfer to the ship which we took advantage of.

Our return fare with BA (C) was included and we paid no more than a regular Businees class return for the whole trip, including all meals, room service, the works. Drinks and on board shopping was extra.

I’ll leave Terry to describe the voyage, but apart from one day confined to quarters due to sea sickness (take the tablets), we had an amazing time. Favourite memory is Mrs. LP in the outdoor hot tub, mid Atlantic, mid November, with the University Presidents wife drinking a bottle of Veuve Cliquot!!!

lloydah
    Participant

Mrs L, always the Headmistress, says Martyn is wrong it should be “for Mrs S and me” and LP is correct “Mrs LP and I”. You take out the proper noun and leave the pronoun ( leaving either me or I.) Only one of them will then sound correct (she says)
    Back to thread, I took my old passport through IAD with my new one just to make sure they could locate my ESTA which was only 18 months old. Chap on desk asked if I was the same guy in the picture. Shows what 10 years can do! although he did grin as he said it. No problems getting in though.
    PS, went transatlantic on the Q. Elizabeth nearly 50 years ago with parents. Would highly recommend the experience if time allows.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mr. L, it’s nice to be right for once 😉

Papillion53
    Participant

MartynS and Mr LP – on our first TA on Silversea from Southampton to New York, the US immigration came on board the ship in Newport R.I. and were installed in the ship’s Grand Salon (no less) with a lovely light buffet of freshly baked croissants, freshly squeezed orange juice, and freshly percolated coffee! No wonder they had a smile on their faces LOL! And we were all called by suite number at a certain time to go through immigration – how civilised! My DH was “interviewed” by a fervent Arsenal supporter – his mates were taking the mickey out of him as to how could this US guy support of all teams Arsenal, but when the DH said “up the Gunners”, well made his day! This all goes over my head of course – football, thank goodness Euro 2012 is over, finally! ;-)!

So of course when we arrived in New York, (magical, magical, magical sailing under the Verrazano Bridge with the sunrise over NY), getting off the ship was a total breeze.

By the way there is a cruise review site that will give you your review of Cunard – not sure if I’m allowed to mention it on here? but Martyn if you haven’t booked it yet and your heart isn’t set on QM2, have a look at Seabourn, we did a TA last year Malaga to Fort Lauderdale – wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! 6* luxury all the way and we met some great fellow travellers, and everything is included, including champagne!

Mr LP – always “Go West” young man ;-), gain the extra hours and arrive in NY fresh as a daisy! Eastbound – lose hours 🙁 but I know what you mean about losing the jetlag too.

Anyway to get back to the ESTA – anytime i’ve applied or renewed for either of us, it’s been easy to do, no problems at all with the US ESTA website.

Aplogies to all for getting off topic 🙂

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

Sounds ver civilised Papillion, versus my experience last week.

You do not require and ESTA if entering the USA by road from Mexico or Canada. ….you think Great!!..

Drove into the USA from Canada, passport held and asked to park car and visit immigration “room”. A small hot room with (I counted) 220 souls in the same position. A two hour wait before being seen by a very pleasant official who did the regular fingerprinting, stamped passport and then released. I was told the wait was three hours by the time I left. Are these guys competing with UK border controls?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls