Essential Travel Apps

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• FrDougal
    Participant

Hello all,

Hoping some of you could help.
    I use to find the MyFlights App to keep track of my bookings. It was fantastic, recognized most airlines PNRs and updated automatically. But alas they stopped it at the end of last year.

Do any of you know of a similar app which is available? Desperate to find something to keep track of my bookings, life, etc!

Any other tips for essential apps also greatly appreciated!

Regards

Doug!

capetonianm
    Participant

I’m racking my brains to remember the name of the one I used to use. I could forward emails from travel providers to an email address such as [email protected], and it would then collate them all as an integrated itinerary.

I stopped using it as if I had overlapping or back to back trips, it used to get the dates correct but the order wrong, which was confusing.

I have gone back to the old fashioned way of Filofax + spreadsheet for all our trips, but I am a proud and self-confessed Luddite, you might not be!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Funny how this one comes around

Useful iPhone apps while travelling?
    I imagine most of those (from 2011) have been discoutinued.

Travel app – too much to ask?

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=884934]I’m racking my brains to remember the name of the one I used to use. I could forward emails from travel providers to an email address such as [email protected], and it would then collate them all as an integrated itinerary.

I stopped using it as if I had overlapping or back to back trips, it used to get the dates correct but the order wrong, which was confusing.

I have gone back to the old fashioned way of Filofax + spreadsheet for all our trips, but I am a proud and self-confessed Luddite, you might not be![/quote]

Me too, well not the filofax, Outlook calendar and printed schedule in my bag!

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Hi Doug

TripIt works well for me. You forward your bookings to a dedicated email and it creates an itinerary. There is a free and a paid version

Also, AwardWallet, has a nominal annual fee. Links to your hotel and airline membership to pick up an itinerary. You can also send bookings to an email address to get them added. Also, will keep track of your FFP points

David

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I use the following:
    ExpertFlyer
    Flightradar24
    Bahn.de and SBB.ch (apps) for train travel in Europe

Other than that I find Google calendar very good.

capetonianm
    Participant

Tripit is the one I used for a while but as I said earlier, I found the way it dealt with back to back or embedded trips confusing.

CityFlyer
    Participant

Like others I use TripIt and find it usually keeps my bookings in order. I’ve also set it up to scan my emails periodically and it automatically puts the bookings into my account for me.

Separate to a travel organiser I use:
    WiFox – has a multitude of wifi logins for various lounges at airports around the world, as often I find the free airport wifi is too slow.
    PureVPN – for travel in China.
    HYPERDIA – great public transport app for Japan.
    PressReader – to download magazines for inflight.
    maps.me – offline maps for wherever I’m going.
    xe – currency conversion.

Also any airline I’m flying on I make sure to download their app on both phone and iPad. Very handy when you’ve forgotten to save something to watch/read, they have entertainment wifi only on board and no in flight entertainment!

ross
    Participant

I’ve never found a good replacement for Trip Deck. The ability to add flights to an itinerary by inputting the departure and arrival cities and selecting the correct flight was so handy. Unfortunately it was closed down some time ago. The developer Mobiata carried on with Flight Track and Flight Board, but it seems they closed those too last year.

I cannot get on with emailing itineraries to TripIt and cannot find anything that adequately does what I want/need.

Any ideas, lovely people of BT?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I use Google Trips, but mainly because it’s free and keeps everything in one place and automatically backs up the info in case I lost my phone (or my passport, that’s on my Google Drive as well and so can be accessed from any device if I lose the ones I am travelling with).

It then builds an itinerary and offers sightseeing recommendations, reservations, safety tips, weather etc..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

PureVPN – for travel in China.

HYPERDIA – great public transport app for Japan.

PressReader – to download magazines for inflight.

maps.me – offline maps for wherever I’m going.

xe – currency conversion.

Like you CityFlyer, I also use XE and now use Nord VPN as having tried several i find it the best.
    I gave up PressReader and now use Zinio for a far greater choice and subscribe to the FT so can always download the ePaper.

Thanks for the heads up on Maps.me. Brilliant and I had never heard of it before.

One other App I use is Polaris Navigation. It uses GPS and on the plane I can see where I am, height, speed, distance etc. Useful when there is no Flight info on shorthaul flights.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls