Essential Kit for European Travellers: The EHIC Card

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

As many of us set out on our summer hols, it is essential those UK Nationals travelling within the EU apply for and carry with them an EHIC card.

This gives you access to European hospitals when abroad and ensure rapid treatment, while minimising administrative headaches on your return.

Of course, this is no replacement for a good Travel Insurance policy.

However, especially with health alerts prevalent across Europe, it is as well to apply online today. All you need is your National Insurance Number:

http://www.ehic.org.uk

Takes about five minutes to fill in the form, and the card usually arrives within a week.

flyingbunny
    Participant

Thanks Vintage Krug. Is this the new E111?
    I have one of these cards and it’s fine if you are near a government hospital but I broke my wrist snowboarding and could not drive to a hospital so I had to go to the resort’s clinic for an X-ray – which cost me 150 euros… non-refundable because I was forced to go private. But well worth keeping in the wallet when abroad.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes, I believe this does replace the E111, that has not been available for a number of years now.

As your painful experience suggests, this card does not replace travel insurance. And private health treatment would probably be the best solution for most time pressed business travellers.

However, for those on an extended stay or with a minor ailment not worth the hassle of an insurance claim, then this is a worthwhile and easy to apply for back-up.

Even some travel insurance will expect that any emergency treatment is dealt with using this card, and without it you may face a stiff bill which might be difficult to reclaim from your insurance provider.

NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks for the bump VK, just checked mine which expired in September. Shame they don’t remind you.

Happy New Year

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

At least your expiry was Sep 10 Nigel, just noticed mine says Sep 09! Didn’t even realise it had an expiry.

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi VK,

Once again, you deliver basic but most essential information. Irish pax can access the card on http://www.ehic.ie

Hope you have a very merry new year and safe travels (which I look forward to reading about!)

Pat

VintageKrug
    Participant

A bump as this is well worth getting sorted; I noted that mine had expired during the post-Christmas clear out.

It’s free to apply, and arrives within seven days. You just need your NI number:

http://www.ehic.org.uk

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Where this is useful is for pre existing conditions which insurers may not provide cover.

Whislt the comment has been made that this card may reduce”administrative headaches on your return” (i.e. dealing with insurers),personally, I like to avoid the administrative headaches if I need to see a Dr whilst travelling, hence, private GP + referal to hospital, with a quick call to insurance company to pre approve.

Thanks VK

I’m just looking at mine issued in Luxembourg as I didn’t realise there was an expiry date. No worries – August 2014.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I can vouch for the usefulness of this card. On a business trip to Frankfurt a few months ago I broke my tooth at dinner in my hotel. The timing sequence then went as follows:

8.00 pm – report broken tooth to Concierge. Asked if painful – Yes.

8.10 pm – Concierge has found an emergency dentist and ordered a taxi

8.20 pm – taxi to University hospital

8.45 pm – shown into hospital. Greeted in English. Duty dental student inspects damage, prepares tooth for emergency repair

9.30 pm – Duty dentist (qualified) inspects student’s work. Thumbs up.

10.00 pm – taxi back to hotel.

Total cost with EHIC card: €10. And this included a typed report to my home dentist in English with details of what had been done.

Fabulous system, will never travel without the card.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Great illustration of the benefits of this card, and a timely opportunity to remind friends and colleagues to keep theirs current.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls