End of the road for FlyBMI

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Statement from Loganair

Flybmi update – 17th February
    17th February 2019 | by admin

Loganair can confirm it has stepped in to secure three key air routes following the unfortunate news that flybmi is set to appoint administrators;

Aberdeen to Bristol
    Aberdeen to Oslo
    Aberdeen to Esberg

These services will commence on 4th March and will be on sale from Monday 18th February at Loganair.co.uk and through your local or appointed Travel Agent.

Jonathan Hinkles. Loganair Managing Director said:

“It’s always really sad to see an airline go out of business, and our thoughts are with all those affected – particularly staff members. We are evaluating flybmi’s wider network and assessing routes which align with Loganair’s distinct geographical area and overall strategic plans. We are also working on employment opportunities for pilots, cabin crew and engineering support staff to strengthen the Loganair team.”

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Some good news.

Loganair says it will take over the Aberdeen-Bristol route from March 4.

It will also take over flights linking Aberdeen with Oslo and Ebsjerg (Denmark) from the above date.

Loganair says it will deploy a 49-seat Embraer 145.[/quote]

Worth noting that Loganair is owned by Airline Investments Limited who also own FlyBMI. Hopefully no inside information as to which routes were profitable

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

A few hours ago Loganair said it was taking over two routes from Newcastle starting March 25.

The routes are to Brussels and Stavanger.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/flights-newcastle-brussels-stavanger-saved-15844234

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=919460]And while Brexit does create a challenging environment, I doubt it would be a main reason.[/quote]

Apparently, the airline had a healthy corporate charter business, that was Eurocentric. The expected contracts just never materialised for the summer months because of the uncertainty of their licence to operate within the EU after the 29th

Personally sad for me , as another airline brand name that I remember with fondness bites the dust !!

1 user thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

FaroFlyer makes an important point. It does seem somewhat odd that Loganair can pick up the business but the joint parent company can walk away from the human consequences of the failure of flybmi. I imagine there would be rather louder squeals of foul play were something similar to happen between two carriers in IAG or Lufthansa Group or Air France – KLM?????

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

[quote quote=919533]FaroFlyer makes an important point. It does seem somewhat odd that Loganair can pick up the business but the joint parent company can walk away from the human consequences of the failure of flybmi. I imagine there would be rather louder squeals of foul play were something similar to happen between two carriers in IAG or Lufthansa Group or Air France – KLM?????[/quote]

I’m surprised more isn’t being made of this. I can see a situation where someone paid for a flight with flybmi by debit card, struggles to get a refund from their bank and then has to pay out again to buy a ticket for the same journey with Loganair which is owned by the same company. This seems crazy…..

1 user thanked author for this post.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

DAT has also announced that they will be commencing 4 flights per week from Esbjerg to Aberdeen from 25 February 2019.

Captain Jesper Rungholm, CEO and owner of DAT, said: “It is with great pleasure that we announce the first DAT scheduled flights to Aberdeen.”

“We opened our first oil business route from Esbjerg to Stavanger in 1996 and we have been waiting a long time for this opportunity to further our services from Esbjerg.”

canucklad
    Participant

Just seen this on the EasyJet site…….

Information for FlyBMI customers
    17/02/2019
    We’re sorry to hear the news about FlyBMI and would like to offer our help to get their customers home.
    FlyBMI customers who are unable to return home can transfer onto any easyJet flight from Bristol to Paris CDG and Paris CDG to Bristol.
    To transfer a flight customers should call our dedicated Customer Service Team:
    If calling from the UK : +44 (0) 330 365 5030
    From within France: 0820242280
    All flights are subject to a one way rescue fee of £80/€90 per customer. Customers will need their original FlyBMI booking reference in order to make a transfer.
    This offer is valid until the 27 February for booking and for travel up until 17 March.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

City of Derry expects its London route to resume in the near future.

Loganair appears to be keen. This route attracts a £2 million govt subsidy.

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/hopes-both-london-and-planned-new-manchester-route-can-be-saved-coda-1-8817593

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls