End of companion voucher First class travel?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1102309]The increase from £195 to £250 is enough to make you stop and think.[/quote]

Yes – it really is a big jump. But – as you wrote – it’s only £55. In relation to being able to take a spouse/partner/friend along for a flight that can cost thousands of GBP, do you really believe many will hand their cards back?

I doubt it.

fatbear
    Participant

I have just received the letter from Amex. In the past I have not had too much trouble using the Companion voucher for Business class flights to places like Singapore or Antigua. Changing the T&C’s to be just for economy flights renders the benefit to being virtually useless, as I don’t see anywhere where we would want to travel to in economy.

I’ll have to consider if it is worth paying £250 for the Premium Card – probably not………..

CAI
    Participant

The annual fee was £150 until 2016 and went up to £195 in 2019, so now that it’s going up to £250 that’s a 66% rise in 6 years. To me it’s only worth paying if I can use the Companion voucher in long-haul CW or First, which I have managed to do in the last 5 years – to Washington, Singapore, St Lucia and Joburg. When BA had their half-price redemption sale last October I managed to book 2 seats in First to LAX with the companion voucher but sadly have been unable to make use of this due to ongoing restrictions.

Going forward, with the reduction in number of seats from 14 to 8, it’s going to be almost impossible to get 2 reward seats in First, unless the route is served by a 380 or an unconverted 777. I signed up to SeatSpy courtesy of the special offer from Business Traveler. It’s mostly accurate and a great tool to find reward availability for a particular route for a whole year.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

My wife and I each have our own premium BA AmEx account. I was paying the grandfathered rate of £30 from quite a few years ago, and my wife was paying £195. Now mine is going to £250 as well, I’ll cancel my card and just keep my wife’s – I accept this means that we can’t take the family of four away using 2 x 241 vouchers each year, but in reality going long haul every other year is probably enough…..

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls