End of companion voucher First class travel?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• superchris
    Participant

Just received an email from the worlds favorite and unless Im very much mistaken, the changes in Ts and Cs mean no more first-class tickets on companion vouchers acquired through the Amex partnership.

No surprise if Im honest but somewhat disappointed all the same.

Nice to see there is a delayed & phased rollout though, the changes are for vouchers issued after September this year.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101936]

It would have been nice if BA, rather than simply say “here are the new terms and conditions”, had taken the trouble of highlighting the key changes.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DerekVH
    Participant

This is not the case it is just badly written T&C’s – there is a good thread on FT but if you a a Premier Amex Card you can still use a 2-4-1 voucher in F. There is additional capacity in I class in CW.

superchris
    Participant

thanks Esselle – you are right. But I guess when its bad news* you dont exactly highlighted it.

* or should that be an ‘enhancement’

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’d seen that the standard BA AMEX card now only had the choice of economy, but missed the removal of First.

12. Access to Reward Flight seats within Club World (business) class is available for British Airways American Express Premium Plus Companion Vouchers.

Who will fly in that cabin now ?!

Screenshot-2021-06-08-at-15.54.44

Stormin
    Participant

Everyone

I have checked with BA this afternoon and they confirmed that the 2 for 1 voucher gained via the BA Amex Premium Plus card can indeed be used for ALL travel classes (if available)

All good !

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1101944]I have checked with BA this afternoon and they confirmed that the 2 for 1 voucher gained via the BA Amex Premium Plus card can indeed be used for ALL travel classes (if available)[/quote]

This is what I picked up somewhere in the reams of words BA used, to actually just say “Economy only if you just hold a standard Amex card”.

ASK1945
    Participant

Predictably, Amex have just sent out an email to customers with an Amex Premium Plus card that the annual subscription is rising to £250 from the previous £195, from September 1st.

DerekVH
    Participant

Given we cannot travel anywhere at the moment I suspect AMEX are going to find a lot of card cancellations/downgrades.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101937]
    To my point about BA not actually bothering to tell you what the changes to the Ts & Cs are, the Amex email lays their changes out neatly and clearly.

GordyUK
    Participant

Tbh the basic BA Amex was a waste of plastic anyway.. until the upcoming change you had to spend £20k and then only got a voucher valid for 12 months so trying to find availability L/H in F was as rare as hen’s teeth anyway. At least these changes will benefit the prem BA Amex with more availability and by default less pax going for them. Swings and roundabouts

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tramor01
    Participant

I was given the premium BA Amex card free not long after it was launched as a result of the other Amex card I have. I’ve now been told that as of Sept 1st my fee for this card has gone from zero to £250 per year.
    Given it’s like finding hens teeth getting a 2-4-1 booking in 1st (or even in Business)these days I can’t see me forking out £250.
    I wonder how many others will cancel theirs?
    These days I only use my Avios for positioning flights in advance of taking ex Europe long haul flights (where you get Avios or other points plus status points), or popping over to Europe for the weekend.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Tramor01 said “I was given the premium BA Amex card… I’ve now been told that as of Sept 1st my fee for this card has gone from zero to £250 per year… I can’t see me forking out £250. I wonder how many others will cancel theirs?”

Years ago I had an Amex card which I used all the time, and was glad to have. Then one year they said they would considerably increase the annual fee next time, with no increased benefit to me (or explanation). I cancelled the card and I will not go back to Amex. I vote with my feet.

ASK1945
    Participant

GivingupBA – yes, the £250 fee is a big increase, but I will continue to pay.I also started years ago with a zero fee, but started to have to pay later on.

My Amex card has proved to be an immense value for money: I have never failed to get a Business (or occasionally First Class) 241 flight to wherever we have wanted to go, every year since they first issued the vouchers in 2003. Sometimes they have not been on the exact date wanted, but always within a reasonable alternative date. We have used the vouchers for long haul to every continent other than Europe.

We have also found getting refunds much easier with Amex than with other cards.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1102308]

The increase from £195 to £250 is enough to make you stop and think.

Over the years I’ve had 2-4-1 bookings in F to DXB, CPT, and JFK many, many times, and to JFK in R a couple of times too, so no doubting the value for money. And many trips last minute in C to avoid simply letting a voucher expire.

But now, with CVD – 19, and the ever decreasing availability of seats in F, I am starting to wonder if it is worth keeping the card.

I will probably keep it going for now, as in reality it’s only a £55 increase, but I can understand that for some it will be beyond worth it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls