Emirates v BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Anthony

You’ve made your point, can we move on?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Come on, own up – which one of you is Donald Trump?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@CathayLoyalist2 – 09/12/2015 18:57 GMT

Trump doesn’t deal in facts so it’s certainly not me.

SimonS1
    Participant

I suppose when you have 27 consecutive years of profits then financiers will stick their necks out a bit on the gearing front.

Especially in the leasing industry where the value/saleability of the asset is often more important than the balance sheet. Hence the attractiveness of newer, efficient aircraft like the 380s compared to clapped out 747s.

MrMichael
    Participant

I agree with AnthonyDunn here (his edited version, never saw it before) Emirates is not as much a business more a vanity project by the sheiks of Dubai. BA on the other hand has fickle shareholders like me looking to get a decent pension from its growth and profits. BA is only there to make a profit, Emirates is there as an attempt at world domination of long haul air travel. Here’s a question, how well do you think Tim Smith would do at BA where shareholder value is the priority?

esselle
    Participant

I think his name is Tim Clark.

SimonS1
    Participant

@Mr Michael – the only Tim Smith I know is (was?) a DJ, so I would have fairly low expectations at BA. Like most passengers I suspect.

PS – Emirates has a much better record of profits than BA. You seem to have overlooked that. They paid a decent dividend last year as well. Bloody good vanity project of you ask me.

MrMichael
    Participant

My mistake, Tim Clark, not Smith. Been a rather tiring day….however, home in ten minutes and then bed.

Schaible
    Participant

Emirates used to give out amenity bags on day flights when longer than 7 hours. But this was back at a time when they still were a quality airline and not a quantity airline. Good to see that not only I realized this.
    They also used to have well groomed Western FAs and with expansion filled up the demand with untrained labour out the third world. Of course, they are cheaper.
    The business class seats on EK’s A380 are one of the most narrow ones in the industry. But in exchange you have this minibar thing next to you.
    Anyway, what I don’t like about BA’s business class are the seats facing backwards.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Swiss give out amenity bags on all long haul flights, day or night. In F you also get the jim jams on the day flight if you ask for them. Ditto Lufthansa.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Emirates v’s BA

There’s no comparison and before you get on your high horse AnthonyDunne I have been in BA F recently on the A380, their flag ship.

It was cramped, the food inedible and the crew disinterested, dine on demand was dine at their convenience, put up and shut up. The seat is not up to the CX or QR C seat standards and is less comfortable. The cabin compared to CX, QR or SQ feels cramped.

F on EK offers a suite, dine on demand, industry leading entertainment and almost always polished crew who take an interest and care.

It’s like comparing chalk and cheese. One is a top class product sold at a sensible price and to drag up an old theme from here BA is a business class product sold as first or I understand more commonly upgraded to than sold.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ CXDiamonde – 10/12/2015 18:26 GMT

I am delighted that you’ve been able to do a compare and contrast. For myself, and following your sage advice, I am looking forward to my forthcoming trip with CX and onwards to Yangon. It is pretty much always a very agreeable experience.

Oh, and which/whose high horse?

esselle
    Participant

Whilst a big fan of EK and their F offering, I find it a bit “blingy” and would always therefore chose EY. BA F, even on their Flagship is a cross between a Berni Inn and a 5 star resort hotel trading on its past. Avoid at all costs.

StewartK
    Participant

Just taken two7 hr and one 3 hr flight on EK in F (two on A380) and continue to believe they offer the best value product offered given service level provision/price.

Blingy? Clearly a matter of taste!

I’ve often asked for an amenity kit on an EK day flight and never been refused – I find it hard to believe that the supply of dental and shaving etc kits in the J loos were not replenished. These are also provided in the lounges at LHR and LGW.

I was having breakfast in Jeddah with two German colleagues who are recent EK converts and we had agreed we liked the Jennifer Aniston adverts. On the arrival of a pretty dour looking BA crew into the restaurant there was a spontaneous three part cry of ‘Where’s the shower?”

Markyah
    Participant

As much as I try to choose BA it is always relegated to second (or lower) relative to other carriers on long haul routes east bound and this includes EK.

When I have used BA they have been competant without being exceptional and exceptional is what I want as it is my money not my employers that is funding the experience. The Club World cabin in BA’s 777 is also a joke – and not a good one either.

I would choose EK over BA anyday even where the stopover in DXB adds to the journey time. I would, and do, choose Etihad and EVA over BA as well.

When I am travelling I like the experience to start from the moment the journey commences and this invariably means when the EK or Etihad limo pulls up at the door rather than when arriving at the thoroughly excellent T5 at LHR. Sorry BA but you need to move up several levels to win me over, which is a shame because I don’t think it is possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls