Emirates to serve Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Two years ago we reported on Emirates’ ambition to operate between Dubai and Mexico City via Zurich – see link below.

But the airline faced problems in gaining fifth-freedom traffic rights (Zurich-Mexico City) from the Swiss aviation authority.

A report in Spanish media says that Emirates has been granted fifth-freedom rights to fly Barcelona-Mexico City. It therefore will enable the airline to operate Dubai-Mexico City via Barcelona. No date for the commencement of service has been announced.

Fomento autoriza a Emirates la explotación de la ruta Dubái-Barcelona-Ciudad de México

Our original report re Emirates wishing to route via Zurich.

Emirates requests Zurich-Mexico flight

AMcWhirter
    Participant

KSHaggag
    Participant

Traditionally KLM has always been a WORLD LEADER in Fifth Freedom legs e.g. Lisbon/Rio ,Casablanca/Freetown,Vienna/Dubai,Dubai/Bangkok,Athens/Tokyo,etc..etc..etc…,then SQ appeared in the early seventies with a raft of fifth freedom sectors e.g. TPE/LAX,HKG/SFO,NRT/LAX,ICN/SFO,ICN/YVR ,CAI/DXB,IST/DXB,XB/DME,FRA/JFK,AMS/ORD,HKG/LAS ,etc etcc…SQ is still ranking high as a Fifth Freedom explorer ,however I can notice nowadays that Emirates is trying to exploit that carriage freedom in the air gradually with two popular routes notably MXP/JFK and ATH/EWR and here we have an upcoming BCN/MEX !!! good news for Europeans flying to MEX .

I am just astonished as to why IB has granted EK that traffic right ;would IB not be interested in linking those two cities ( though BCN is no more an IB hub ) ;but i recall when SQ started its BCN/SAO ,IB right afterwards jumped on the bandwagon and linked the same city pair ..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls