Emirates reduces Edinburgh frequency to 5 x weekly

Back to Forum

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  AMcWhirter 24 Sep 2018
at 17:20

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Afternoon All

Emirates are reducing the planned Edinburgh service to 5 x weekly. They are dropping Tues and Wednesday flights

SkyHigh
    Participant

I wonder what it is with airlines struggling to maintain decent schedules at Edinburgh ?
    This route hasn’t even commenced and it is already being reduced.
    I wonder if it will remain at all.

capetonianm
    Participant

With EDI GLA and NCL all so close to each other it probably doesn’t make much sense to maintain service out of all three.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Today we learn that Edinburgh is losing several more routes … but with Norwegian.

The Scotsman reports the low-cost carrier will axe all three of its transatlantic services plus a few shorter routes to mainland Europe.

The closure of two of these transatlantic routes had already been forecast. But Edinburgh had been hoping the third route would be retained.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/norwegian-to-scrap-us-budget-flights-from-edinburgh-1-4803827

canucklad
    Participant

Norwegian are citing the failure of the SNP government to live up to their promise to reduce APD.
    Quite saddened by the decision, flew with them earlier on in the year to Tenerife, and they were definitely superior to Easyjet and obviously Ryanair.
    Having said that my mate wasn’t that impressed with their Trans-Atlantic offering, especially the Ryanairish tactic of landing you somewhere near nowhere.

Back to Emirates, I noticed during Arsenal’s game yesterday that the advertising boards mentioned the new route from Edinburgh, but I wonder who their target audience is?

To be successful , they can’t threaten their existing GLA/NCL traffic, and what can they learn from Etihad’s failure and more importantly QR’s success.
    I champion my local airport, yet it’s recent success has transformed the airport experience into something close to a scrum. Starting with an access road that hasn’t been updated since the 70’s .
    And apparently the Edinburgh council point blank refusing to take fiscal responsibility to upgrade it.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Emirates confirms that EDI will start as a daily operation but will be reduced to a five flights a week service from October 28.

It will revert to daily from June 1 next year.

Emirates to reduce Edinburgh service

canucklad – Emirates, rather like Ryanair, has the skill to make a success of a new route. Of course we’ll have to see what happens but surely there’s a large enough market in both Edinburgh and the Eastern side of Scotland ?

Emirates will be marketing the route using Dubai as a gateway. And the marketing effort will be made in overseas markets too.

I haven’t used EDI for over 10 years. It was busy enough at that time !

capetonianm
    Participant

I’ve used EDI 5 or 6 times in the last couple of years and find it a compact and efficient airport, although it does get busy, and I’d rather travel a few miles south and use NCL if timings were good.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Though GLA is much closer (although I agree on the other side of the city). Newcastle would be over 100 miles South and the A1 can be a tricky drive.

capetonianm
    Participant

That’s true, but I am a train person rather than a road person and I tend to think of journeys in that context, and the train ride between EDI and NCL is a very pleasant one. You are of course right, it takes longer.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

ride between EDI and NCL is a very pleasant

Absolutely. It’s the highlight of LNER’s East Coast route to Scotland. Regularly praised by passengers when the train hugs the cliffs along that Northumberland stretch.

canucklad
    Participant

Indeed capetonianm….and your geography is askew Alex

I’d rather sit back and take in the view s, and IMO the best views of any train journey anywhere in the UK.
    Especially, between Dunbar and Berwick, (that’s on The right side of the border)….. sipping on a pleasant glass of wine.
    The uncivilized alternative is to trudge along the M8 to the dark side , where invariably you’ll have to navigate the Blue/Green divide …… Having to remind yourself its actually 2018 and not 1690 : )

And before all the Weedgies jump down my throat, I’ll have to admit that I’ve had some “pure dead brilliant” nights in Glasgow. A great city !!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the correction, canucklad.

The attraction South of Berwick is the view out to Holy Island. Easily seen on a clear day.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BTUK October 2018 issue
BTUK October 2018 issue
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls