Emirates cancels some flights to South Africa (October 3)

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Only a week ago we reported that Emirates would be restarting flights to South Africa on October 1.

But local media reports today that Emirates has cancelled a number of flights owing to Cogta regulations.

https://www.enca.com/news/emirates-cancels-several-international-flights-to-SA

Of course the situation may be resolved but that’s the news at time of writing.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

There appears to be a lot of confusion, however 2 people I know traveled there without problem, one from Spain and one from Italy, and were not even asked for the negative c-19 test on arrival!

Confusion and chaos bedevil reopening of SA’s borders to international travellers

1 user thanked author for this post.

J_Pathmore
    Participant

Doesn’t seem like they’re cancelled based on Flightradar24 showing flights coming in and out. Emirates own a large chunk of the SA market and make serious money there. Highly doubt they’d cancel their flights.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1012936][/postquote]

To be clear – Emirates HAS cancelled some flights, but not all of them.

The flights you see on Flightradar are mainly cargo flights which have been operating throughout. Very easy – flight carries two crew, they switch at destination, and neither crew enters SA.

Emirates restated passenger flights to Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town when the borders re-opened on 1st October having been given various assurances. When the regulations were published EK then said all crew had to produce a Covid test less than 72 hours old or quarantine. As that isn’t a practical way to operate an airline (neither the testing or operating with 2 crew) Emirates told them to get lost and cancelled the flights again.

In Durban particularly it caused some angst as there were signs the reintroduction of flights might kick start tourism a bit.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2020-10-04-kzn-tourism-mec-negotiating-with-government-as-emirates-pulls-out-of-durban/

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Qatar seem to be flying, and are offering 19 flights a week to South Africa. It looks as if I’ll have to fly them to get to Cape Town as LH want an absurd amount to change the return part of my ticket from JNB to CPT instead. I dislike the midnight shuffle as you change planes, but I’d rather keep € 2,000 + in my pocket, keep the ticket for another time, and spend just €1,800 return in business with Qatar!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls