Emirates B777-300ER flies with one passenger

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

This news has been reported elsewhere over the past two days but I thought I would share it with you here.

It demonstrates how aviation is being affected by the pandemic.

The flight in question was EK501 BOM-DXB on May 19.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/covid-impact-just-one-passenger-flew-on-mumbai-dubai-route-on-emirates-widebody-recently/articleshow/82935220.cms

https://www.aninews.in/news/national/general-news/covid-19-dubai-bound-emirates-plane-flies-with-1-passenger-from-mumbai-on-may-1920210526002422/

3 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Totally unrelated to Covid but I did once fly on a BA 747 (J’burg to Nairobi) with approx 20 pax onboard….friend and I were also the only pax on a Mexicana flight from Campeche to Cancun (rather smaller aircraft though).

azidane
    Participant

I flew SQ from Dubai to Cairo on 1st anniversary of 9/11, there were 3 pax on board a 777

Inquisitive
    Participant

Me and my family flew a couple of weeks after 9/11 from Singapore to Brisbane in a Qantas B747. We booked our Goldcoast holiday much earlier – and although was a bit apprehensive, went ahead with the trip.

The 747 had about 20-25 passengers including 4 of us. And we also received royal treatment from the crew members. The crew indicated many cancellations happened after 9/11. It was an overnight flight and all of us enjoyed “lie flat sleep” on 4 across middle seats.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101218]

Can just beat this: a couple of weeks before Panam failed – around the end of 1990 I think – my wife and I flew on a 747 from SFO to LHR in Economy with only 6 other passengers there. There was no-one in Business. They wouldn’t let us go into there, but we did get upgraded meals. Of course it was also overnight and we could stretch out over 4 seats (or was it 5 – I can’t remember?).

esselle
    Participant

I once flew DXB – BKK in F on EK. As the only pax in that cabin, on what was an early afternoon flight arriving effectively at bedtime in Thailand, I went nuts. Dom, extensive dining and wines, topped off with Paradis. Definitely one of my best ever flights!

cwoodward
    Participant

Some 20 years ago I was in Sydney for business just before Chinese NY and needed to get back to Hong Kong. Cathay was full but I was a life time Cathay club member and they kindly managed to get me a seat on Qantas. I duly turned up at Kingsford Smith airport at the appointed time.
    The check-in was strangely quiet but I was tight for time and thought nothing more of it and went directly to the gate – again very quiet but I assumed that all were already onboard. They were not as I was the only passenger on a 747.
    What had happened was that in order to cater for the mass exodus from HK the following day for the CNY holiday Qantas was flying an extra positioning flight and Cathay had somehow got me on it.
    I still fondly remember the experience as I sat in 1st class had the pick of the food and drink menus and interesting conversations with the pilots and crew and the jump seat landing into HK.
    It’s is very doubtful if in these more cooperate days this sort of thing ever happens but possibly with smaller less corporate airlines it could

4 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101238]

Sorry, Esselle, the “report” was a mistake.

I think being alone in First happens more often, Esselle. I had a few years ago a B747 upper deck only for me on Lufty between FRA and Tehran. I was not allowed to go mad on the caviar, but I certainly had my share! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls