Emirates and premium economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

According to an April 3rd press release by Swire subsidiary HAECO the launch customer for their new premium economy ‘Eclipse’ seat is a large middle east based airline.
    There are not too many large middle eastern based carriers about to introduce a premium economy cabin.
    There is an image of the new seat in the press release.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Two days ago at the Arabian Travel Market Emirates president Sir Tim Clark confirmed that premium economy will be launched next year on both its A380s and B777s.

No other details were made available other than it would be cheaper than business class.

I would expect local rivals to follow in due course.

Ahmad
    Participant

Looks like the launch is now delayed because of delivery delays of the B777X and the product might début on the A380 in December 2020.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transport/428490-emirates-premium-economy-to-be-delayed-says-tim-clark

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Anyone else significantly underwhelmed by the off the shelf Recaro seats? Albeit I’m sure they’ll be blinged up somewhat, it’s a far cry from the HAECO Eclipse seat – so the question is, if it’s not EK – who is the middle eastern customer? QR?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We hope to get a picture soon, in the meantime…

Emirates new premium economy seat details revealed

cwoodward
    Participant

Looks like a Very LCC business class seat

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Looks like a Very LCC business class seat

I hear what you say cwoodward.

As I noted in the copy Sir Tim Clark calls the new seat a “Recaro Sleeperette.”

I made reference in the original copy (this was later omitted for space reasons) that Sir Tim said it would be similar in design to a cradle seat.

This seat is what British Airways provided for Club World in the 1990s.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Woefully disappointing and uninspiring. Nothing new, could be looking at any carrier here. Same product, config and seat pitch as everything else on the market in P/E. And as for “Sleeperette” !!! Really expected more here, and expected a game changer from someone like EK. It’s high time Premium Economy offered 40-43″ as an absolute minimum with 2-3-2 as maximum layout.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Gone are the days when airlines would offer something really different for Premium Economy.

Soon we shall be posting news re KLM’s first Premium Economy and I personally would not expect to see anything greater than what its partners AF, DL and VS offer.

I believe the last airline to offer something different in Premium Economy was Air NZ with its Space Seat.

That was an initiative by the then CEO Bob Fyfe in 2011.

But for one reason or another it didn’t last long.

Some years later Air NZ scrapped its distinctive Space Seat in favour of something akin to what its rivals were offering.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

ontherunhome
    Participant

Looks OK from picture, apart from the mock wood panelling, Yuk. Something from a 70’s Austin or Rover car. Also not sure about the cream colour either. As I won’t use this airline on principal, I’ll never get to try it.

SimonS1
    Participant

So with 1 aircraft fitted and 5 by 2022 the probability of finding it on a suitable flight are small.

Good PR though.

esselle
    Participant

So with 1 aircraft fitted and 5 by 2022 the probability of finding it on a suitable flight are small.

Good PR though.

HaHa

Remember BA’s introduction of “new” First?

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Looks OK from picture, apart from the mock wood panelling, Yuk. Something from a 70’s Austin or Rover car. Also not sure about the cream colour either. As I won’t use this airline on principal, I’ll never get to try it.

My formative years were spent in my father’s 1970s Austin Princess. A walnutfest, if ever there was one. I think I’ll feel quite at home.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Cover of November 2020 - January 2021 edition of Business Traveller
Cover of November 2020 - January 2021 edition of Business Traveller
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls