Emirates and premium economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

So after years of speculation it sounds like this is going to happen.

My mate is a First Officer for EK and shared a company podcast which features a Q&A with Tim Clarke regarding Premium Economy.

He explicitly states that they WILL be installing Premium Economy on the new A380’s arriving 2020 and the entire concept has already been ‘specced’.

I wonder if we will see other ME airlines follow suit?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Of course we will. Even though QR continues to claim its economy class is as good as its rivals’ premium economy.

In EK’s case introducing premium economy had to happen at some stage. More and more of its non-Gulf rivals have introduced premium economy in recent years and as you know EK is not about flying people to and from Dubai alone.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I wonder if they will retro fit the other A380s and The 777s?

If so, depending on the roll out schedule, that will be the end of my BA GC.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Even though QR continues to claim its economy class is as good as its rivals’ premium economy.

That’s a nonsense claim, premium Y is essentially about buying extra space/comfort, not great F&B.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

No premium economy gives great things to travellers over economy, only minor twitches that we previously had in a decent ordinary economy …BUT, it gives the airlines vast extra profit per seat for a negligeable investment….at least Long Haul in business seats you actually got something worthwhile

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=865935]No premium economy gives great things to travellers over economy, only minor twitches that we previously had in a decent ordinary economy …BUT, it gives the airlines vast extra profit per seat for a negligeable investment….at least Long Haul in business seats you actually got something worthwhile[/quote]

As a frequent user of premium eco on AC, BA/Openskies and DY, I completely disagree.

I never had 38″ (0r 43″) pitch in economy. To have 23% extra seat pitch is excellent and whilst not exactly like an older cradle seat, not that far off, either.

In fact, Open Skies 757 Prem Plus seats are old BA cradle seats, fitted with 38″ pitch

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/travel-classes/premium-economy/prem-plus

So premium eco is not that far away from business class in 2000, in terms of seating, though a long way away in F&B terms (but I don’t buy it for free booze)..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=865928]I wonder if they will retro fit the other A380s and The 777s?[/quote]

I would think so. Of course by that time EK might be wanting to retire some of today’s fleet.

The other advantage of premium economy (from an airline’s viewpoint) is its use as an upgrade and downgrade tool.

Inquisitive
    Participant

So the First class seats are progressively reduced or taken out as the business class nowadays are as good as old first class (except BA).
    By introducing premium economy I think we are going back 25 years: the business class is really the first class, premium economy is/will be like business class and economy is economy.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=866131]So the First class seats are progressively reduced or taken out as the business class nowadays are as good as old first class (except BA).

By introducing premium economy I think we are going back 25 years: the business class is really the first class, premium economy is/will be like business class and economy is economy.[/quote]

Yes, a good analysis, with the proviso that F&B is not in the same league as it was then (nor probably do most of us wish to pay the premium for that).

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=865938]

No premium economy gives great things to travellers over economy, only minor twitches that we previously had in a decent ordinary economy …BUT, it gives the airlines vast extra profit per seat for a negligeable investment….at least Long Haul in business seats you actually got something worthwhile

As a frequent user of premium eco on AC, BA/Openskies and DY, I completely disagree.

I never had 38″ (0r 43″) pitch in economy. To have 23% extra seat pitch is excellent and whilst not exactly like an older cradle seat, not that far off, either.

In fact, Open Skies 757 Prem Plus seats are old BA cradle seats, fitted with 38″ pitch

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/travel-classes/premium-economy/prem-plus

So premium eco is not that far away from business class in 2000, in terms of seating, though a long way away in F&B terms (but I don’t buy it for free booze)..[/quote]

Totally agree with the above.

As a 6’5 rotund male, for me Premium Economy makes all the difference. Admittedly my dimentions are not the norm, but the usual space allocated to real Premium Economy products (I don’t mean Economy Plus or whatever the CEO of QR is referring to) means that all passengers in that cabin can enjoy a flight without suffering pain.

With 777s moving to 10 across and the Dreamliner now standard 9 across in Y, Economy has become quite terrible for flights over a few hours especially if you’re over 5’9 and 85kgs.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hello Peter Coultas ,

I agree with you FULLY !

I just want to add that Openskies 757 s have 47 inch of seat pitch and the seats are not the older BA s like the 767 that Openskies is using too .

So on a 757 on Openskies ,you are worlds apart from the competition .

Norwegian with 46 inch on the 787 is also awesome !

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Kareem, are you sure that you agree with Peter Coultas? He is saying the premium economy is not good.

Flightlevel
    Participant

EK latest J class and F on top deck and using the new 11 across Y seats, new stairs configuration on lower deck, they can get 38″pitch in Y on the lower deck for the same total pax as todays A380 three class.
    The new model A380 also has longer range putting the whole world in range from DXB – in comfort!

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

EK will launch premium economy. But it won’t be until 2020 and then initially on its new A380s when they are delivered from Airbus.

With such a huge fleet it will take years all aircraft are retrofiitted.

Why has Emirates the first of the Gulfies to act ?

Simply because, as you know, the Gulfies are sixth-freedom carriers and more and more customers from Asia, Europe, North America and Australasia are asking why they do not offer premium economy.

As other carriers’ products have improved no longer can the Gulfies get away by claiming their economy classes are as good as their rivals’ premium economy products.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-emirates-premium-economy/emirates-airline-to-offer-premium-economy-from-2020-idUSKCN1IW1GU

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

An update

Emirates to finally launch premium economy in 2020?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls