Emirates Airlines – Nice words, Irresponsible Behaviour

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• eperakis
    Participant

Had checked in on-line for an 11:50 Dubai-Athens flight on Dec 11th. My taxi arrived at 10:40 due to the unusually heavy rain that day. Run to drop off my luggage. An Emirates employee tried to call for about 5 minutes boarding, without ANY reply. Then he refused to put me on the flight.

What they did wrong:
    • Spend 5 minutes calling boarding, nobody replied…..then just said ‘sorry you are 2 minutes late’.
    • Didn’t try to find a solution…..repeated like robots ‘we did everything we could’.
    • Didn’t even offer a coffee, a ticket, a discount…instead suggested a wrong flight to go back home on same day.
    • Ignored my need to be on plane……didn’t propose to travel without my luggage, even though they knew I could as I had checked in on line.
    • Asked me to file a complaint…..send back a standardized blah blah reply about timings WITHOUT referring to any of my questions.

Emirates Airlines people surely smile and talk nicely, but when things get serious they really don’t care about their customer, have no empathy, make mistakes and even worse pretend to care. Shiny on the outside, irresponsible on the inside.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Just to clarify….’ My taxi arrived at 10:40 due to the unusually heavy rain that day.’

Was this transport provided and arranged by EK or yourself? If it was EK I could understand your annoyance.

How late was your taxi? It seems if it was say 20-30min late you were cutting it pretty fine to begin with.

If it was yourself that arranged your own transport the blame firmly falls on you for not being at the airport on time. It is not ‘irresponsible behaviour’ for an airline to close a flight on time. Quite the opposite – for the 400-odd other people on board it is the responsible thing to do instead of re-opening the flight to accommodate people that are unable to reach the airport on time.

I find more and more people are not taking personal responsibility for their actions and shifting the blame to the service provider when in reality it is themselves that should put their hand up and say ‘my bad’.

Was reading an online article about someone travelling on a BA flight the other day that was ranting that her boarding was delayed because she hadn’t signed her passport ‘and had to practice her signature for five minutes’. Who’s fault is that?

Should British Airways Have Deleted This Sassy Tweet?

capetonianm
    Participant

Emirates Airlines ……… Shiny on the outside, irresponsible on the inside.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs in this particular case, this sums up Emirates and its hub.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Most airlines have a point at which the flight closes so documentation can be finalised. If late you will generally be bumped.

Wherever you draw the line someone will complain. “Cut off was 30 mins before and I arrived 25 mins before, I thought they would help me” type stuff.

Unless it was the airline’s car I don’t see any recourse except perhaps to try a different airline.

Edski777
    Participant

Or adjust your behaviour and live up to the agreement between you and the service provider. Times and places are always clearly stated. Late means late, no matter the cause.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

How many times must we see and be subjected to passengers who arrive late blame the airline for refusing boarding. “But the plane is still at the gate I demand you allow me on”
    As others have said Late is Late, if I arrive for my train 5 minutes late and the platform is empty to who can I complain?

capetonianm
    Participant

I heard a man who’d missed his flight screaming at a gate agent :
    “I have to get to the airport and wait for the flight for two hours, but you won’t wait five minutes for me.”

SimonS1
    Participant

Or more accurately “you and 300 odd other people some of whom may have connections won’t wait for me”?

And besides isn’t the 2 hours designed to allow for security (your safety), bag drop (presumably you would like your bags back) and immigration (unless you want to be stranded down the line).

Probably some realism needed?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=986451]Unless it was the airline’s car I don’t see any recourse except perhaps to try a different airline.[/quote]

it’s the same on Cunard. The shipping line guarantees to hold the ship if you are late arriving at the port using ground/air transportation supplied by Cunard. Late for any other reason, go straight to the next port of call.

Not sure I have even left an airport hotel, connected to the terminal, just 1 hour and 10 minutes before ANY departure, rain, sun or snow!

esselle
    Participant

Why conflate Emirates, the subject of this post, with Dubai Airport, which has nothing to do with this pax being denied boarding?

MS
    Participant

I hate it when people try to blame someone else when it’s clearly YOUR fault. YOU WERE LATE, nothing got to do with Emirates not offering you a cup of coffee????!!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Everybody has rights. Nobody has responsibilities.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Wow!!! You leave your house at 1040 for a 1150 flight… and you expect to get on???

capetonianm
    Participant

Had checked in on-line for an 11:50 Dubai-Athens flight on Dec 11th. My taxi arrived at 10:40 due to the unusually heavy rain that day

I understand this to mean that the taxi arrived at the airport at 1040 (for an 1150 flight), which although maybe a bit close for comfort, should be viable.

SimonS1
    Participant

Emirates policy is “If you are checking baggage, you will need to arrive at the airport at least ninety (90) minutes prior to your scheduled departure time. If you are not checking baggage, you must arrive at the airport at least sixty (60) minutes prior to scheduled departure”

Either the traveller was inside this or not. If at the airport 70 mins before the flight with bags to check then clearly not.

Frustrating but ultimately down to the passenger to be there on time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls