Emirates’ A380 prompts Lufthansa to delay B747-8 service into Mumbai

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think Moadweeb was referring to the -400 MrMichael, not the -800.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I’ve been on a few LH 744s recently and they are, in typical LH style as good as new inside. The F cabin is excellent and the best thing there is other than a suite on SQ, EK or EY. I certainly don’t see their 748 as a step up in F although the new F seats are very good.

MarkivJ
    Participant

No other European airline is as committed to the Indian market as Lufthansa so it’s really sad to see this happen. It does sound like a bit of a payback on EK’s part. Considering they fly 5x a day and had to choose the one slot that gets in the way of LH’s slot!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Moadweb,

I would imagine there was a lack of urgency for Mumbai to handle the A380 because, until a few months ago, the Indian government would not allow any foreign airline to bring in an A380.

But following a change of heart by the government, SIA was the first airline to land an A380 at an Indian airport and that was not until the end of May as BT reported in early April.

By the way, the timings of SIA’s A380 flights into Mumbai do not clash with those of EK.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100418/sia-to-inaugurate-a380-service-to-india

Airports (which can handle the A380) will only allocate limited gate space for A380s. Why ? Because a) the A380s comprise only a fraction of the world’s civilian aircraft population, b) because A380 gates and their gaterooms take up more space within the terminal and C) because being more complex, they cost more money to construct.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Also, LUFT already flies the 747-800 series to both Delhi and Bengaluru again, underlining their commitment to the Indian market. I hope this Mumbai mess gets sorted out. Also does anyone know if the rumours of Luft starting the A380 to Delhi is true or not. It was to happen around Xmas.

cityprofessional
    Participant

Ha! Funny! It wasn’t long ago that Kingfisher had orders for 5 A380s. Shows you how seriously the airport authorities were taking that order, if they never bothered to build a terminal capable of handling more than one at a time…

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls