Emirates A340-300 Business class

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

I booked the complementary limo transfer to Glasgow Airport on a freezing night (minus 6 at home) – the journey takes just 20 minutes but was a comfortable way to go.

This was the first time I had taken the evening service out of Glasgow and I was looking forward to experiencing Business Class on the A340.

On arrival at the airport, with just hand luggage, I headed through security, having checked in on line earlier. No queues so straight to the Servisair Lounge, a timewarp location with little to commend it besides a great apron view. The food offering is pointless and the seating uncomfortable and not suitable for the work I was trying to do.

Flights are called in this Lounge so I waited until the cheerful lady called us in very good time. From there, it was a 10 minute walk to the Gate and straight on to the aircraft after a visa check (I was continuing to India).

I was seated in 7D which is as good as it gets in the 2-3-2 layout on the A340-300. The middle seat of the three was free and the legroom is excellent and better than the bulkhead seats in front of me. These were occupied by a family with a toddler – did this mean joining the debate about kids in premium classes? Not at all, as the young fella was perfect, sleeping for 90% of the flight.

My jacket was taken after a bit of a wait and champagne/ OJ/ water offered down our aisle some considerable time after those sitting to my right received theirs. The cabin crew came through to take drinks and dinner orders before take off.

Because of the cold weather, there was a slight delay for de-icing and it was about 30 minutes after departure time before we pushed back but the Captain promised a short flight and an on-time arrival.

Service after take off was reasonable prompt and the food very tasty. I opted for smoked chicken salad followed by rack of lamb – alternatives were chicken biryani or salmon – and it was tender and came with a lovely sauce. Service was efficient and reasonably cheerful.

I opted to sleep after dinner and found the angle flat beds very comfortable – I rarely make use of fully flat anyway. I slept for about 5 hours, waking as preparations for landing commenced. I found that an amenity bag had been left for me overnight – rather late to be of that much use. Coffee and orange juice were available to wake me up.

We landed a few minutes early and pulled up at a Gate on-time. I was off the plane, through transfer security and into the Business Lounge within 10 minutes.

Papillion53
    Participant

TominScotland

Thanks again for another great review – I for one appreciate the time you take to tell us your travel news. 🙂

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Hi Tom

I’ve been using Emirates a fair bit too, and yes, the Servisair lounge at Glasgow is a real shocker – very little to redeem it other than quite nice, and particularly apologetic staff!

Another annoyance for me with GLA is there’s no fast-track security, which without wishing to sound like a snob, there should be!

Rgds.
    AOTG.

TominScotland
    Participant

Very true about the staff, AllOverTheGaff. They try really hard with amediocre product.

The wifi is good, too.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Tom

We’ve had the A343 on the Malta route recently and I found the 7 across seats felt narrow, not helped by the ICE controller standing proud of the side.

Did you notice this?

TominScotland
    Participant

That is a fair point, FDoS. Ithe seat next to me was free so did not feel cramped. The A330 I was on later was full and did seem quite cramped but on a 2’30” run this did not matter. Yes, the ICE controller does dig into the fuller (my) figure!! The IFE on the A340 is not up to the 380 or newer 777s, either.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Pleased to hear it is not just me 😉

F&B is good, though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls