Emirates Boeing 777 Seizure Ordered by Nigerian Court

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• BA789
    Participant

I came across an interesting story about Emirates in Nigeria that I would like to share:

https://simpleflying.com/emirates-boeing-777-seizure-nigeria/amp/

Thanks,
    BA789

Swissdiver
    Participant

That’s an interesting one. At that level, it’s probably an influence game to have the aircraft seized or not. I guess however EK will have to pay as they won’t probably withdraw from such a large market.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Slightly odd situation really.

On the one hand it is Nigeria, on the other Emirates has shown a certain arrogance in the past towards international courts (eg the saga over EC261 which they chased unsuccessfully to the Supreme Court).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s an unusual case, and one has to wonder why the passenger was denied boarding. Unlikely she was on a USA no fly list as she could buy another ticket and fly next day. Further, the article does not say if EK refunded the ticket to her. By the sounds of it they did not?

So yes, it took 12 years, but I think the passenger is fully entitled to the amount awarded and probably EK just tried to wear her down by delaying and appealing. I love the fact the aircraft can be auctioned after 30 days if not paid. I’ve always fancied owning a cheap 777!!!

I’m sure EK will pay up pretty quickly to settle this matter, but I hope we get to read the follow up to this article.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ccCookie
    Participant

Quoting the article:

The ticket was confirmed more than three times before Mekwunye’s travel date on 17th December 2007.

On the day of her flight, Mekwunye showed up at the airport but was denied boarding without being given any reason for the denial. The filings state “she was merely told that the ticket had been canceled”.

As an employee, I’d also cancel the booking if I had to “confirm” it “more than three times.”

Usually, as a customer, I confirm my bookings 0 (zero) times. If someone told me that they confirmed their booking 3 times, I’d wonder why. Wouldn’t 1 or 2 times be enough. And, if not, why would 3 times be enough? Why not every 15 minutes??

I suspect that there might be something missing from the story.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=981717]I suspect that there might be something missing from the story.[/quote]

Not necessarily. On long haul flights from and within Africa I still call to reconfirm my booking, that all’s on schedule, no plane changes, seat etc. Probably a hangover from the old days when you had to do this and being Nigerian I’d imagine something she’s used to doing.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=982018][/postquote]

Really? I haven’t called to reconfirm a flight in donkey’s years. All done via online check in. I wouldn’t know who to call.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I call either the Senator Service centre, Emirates in Cape Town. Admittedly it’s a bit of a nonsense in today’s world but it reassures me and on a couple of occasions proved worthwhile.

ccCookie
    Participant

At the risk of repeating myself, quoting the article “The ticket was confirmed more than three times …”

This was my point; “More than 3 times.”

You say that you “call” … was this intended to be plural?

Are you suggesting that it is routine to call more than three times; which, if we consult a number line, means 4 times, or 5 times, or …

For your peace of mind, or ‘reassurance’?

If the article is not merely being hyperbolic (“more than three times …” when they actually mean ‘once’) then again, I think that something is missing.

If you have confirmed your booking once, is there a point to doing it again? (and again, and again … maybe this is why the booking was cancelled? Possibly she annoyed the agents?)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls