Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

Just heard from a friend in Dubai that over 700 pilots and many more cabin crew have been called to the offices to lose their jobs from today… most apparently are 380 pilots but it looks like the bloodbaths have begun….

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000296][/postquote]

Emirates confirms job cuts

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Today’s news from Telegraph.co.uk [Paywall] reports that “as many as 600 pilots and nearly 7,000 cabin crew have lost their jobs by the end of Tuesday, sources told The Telegraph.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/06/09/emirates-cuts-thousands-jobs-planes-remain-grounded/

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I feel so sorry for them all, and especially the cabin crew many who have come from less developed countries and on whom whole families rely on the income.
    I guess it was inevitable though.

Without creating another thread, it seems Alitalia will only allow foreign airlines landing rights if their crew are on the same salary conditions as that of Alitalia crew. It’s probably illegal and probably not a problem for the likes of LH/LX and other first world airlines, but for the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair and the ME3 + Turkish it will likely create a big headache.

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed bloodbath is the right word.

Includes some people with limited seniority – I know someone who has been given 2 weeks notice after less than 3 months in Dubai. Kids in school, car leases etc.

Plus repatriating anywhere is difficult at the moment.

capetonianm
    Participant

I feel so sorry for them all, and especially the cabin crew many who have come from less developed countries and on whom whole families rely on the income.

Not just the cabin crew, but the equally important but less visible employees, such as engineers, techies, mechanics, baggage handlers, cleaners, etc. who work and live in vile conditions in that hellhole, and earn a pittance, and have no worker protection. I suppose they will get free flights home, but that will be about the totality of their end of service ‘benefits’.

This may herald the beginning of the end of an evil, rapacious airline and the vile tourist trade of the place, but there will be a lot of misery in the process and as always those at the top will emerge smug and unscathed whilst those lower down the pecking order will suffer badly.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1000332]I suppose they will get free flights home, but that will be about the totality of their end of service ‘benefits’.[/quote]

Actually the EK end of service benefits are above average – under their scheme the staff get the higher of statutory amount (21 days salary pa of service) or investment performance. Flights home could be a bit more tricky given lack of them at present.

capetonianm
    Participant

Actually the EK end of service benefits are above average

I’m pleased to hear that and I hope they apply to everybody, specially those lower down the pay scale. I thought I’d read elsewhere that they are about to resume flights to many destinations –

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000337][/postquote]

Latest I believe is 30 cities by next week.

Really the limiting factor is the pace of borders opening and also the permit system for returning to UAE which seems to operate at snail’s pace. I heard flights have been departing UK with average of 50 passengers.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000330][/postquote]

You’re absolutely right Simon, its the family scenario that is hard to deal with, finding schools for the children, or indeed the next country or company that will require their services, and again the biggest group to lose their jobs are all associated with the A380 which seems to be disappearing as quickly as it arrived, they will need to retain I guess for either Airbus 350 or Boeing 777 or 789, a question is this easy or just add to their trauma of finding the next role?

Inquisitive
    Participant

It is really depressing news – especially for cabin crews.

Late last year I took Emirates flight in 4 sectors. It was a very good experience, mainly due to the service standards from the cabin crews. Among the 4 sectors, 3 was in A380 and I spent some time at the bar and chatted with the crews (wo)manning the bar. I was surprised to note the diverse countries that are from (Emirates also announced in each flight number of countries represented by cabin crews and languages they can speak).

I was enquiring what makes them work for Emirates (as I read many stories about less salary and perks compared to other renowned airlines), I get the impression that the life is good as Emirates cabin crew. As most of them comes from developing countries, so it will be even harder to get a job back home.

I only hope and prey that this Covid-19 situation go away in 2-3 months and normal life resumes. And people can get back their job.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls