Elizabeth Line

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1216281]I found the entire network and its new stations quite amazing. But what I found unusual and rather scary is the depth/length of the escalators.[/quote]

Reason is that underneath London the space is so crowded (consider the many deep level tube lines for example) hence Elizabeth Line is so deep.

Same scenario with the Jubilee line when it opened 20 years ago.

When it calls at Westminster, Green Park and Bond Street fr example you find it is located one level below the existing lines.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1217108]I live in North London and so it won’t be of a lot of direct benefit to me.[/quote]

Of course – for me, a fast train to Farringdon and then the Elizabeth line will be brilliant for my occasional trips.

However, TonyR was complaining that it should have gone via three mainline stations – even though they already have several tube lines. For people who travel daily across central London, diagonally from Paddington, the new route will save a great deal of time.

I don’t believe the new line was designed to shave a few minutes off for people (like you and I) already well served by the tube and suburban rail system.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1217143]Of course – for me, a fast train to Farringdon and then the Elizabeth line will be brilliant for my occasional trips.[/quote]

ditto for me..

Whilst I have used the Piccadilly line joining at Kings X for T5, it is a schlepp with all the 25 or so stops. But on the other hand my Oyster 60+ does have advantages…

The Elizabeth Line should be significantly faster from Farringdon and it only has 11 stops…. when it is fully open

1 user thanked author for this post.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Some of the “modernised” stations are a bit baffling. I once followed the signs for the Victoria line at St Pancras once they opened the new pathways underground. Took me on about a 1km walk to get to the tube – compared to the 200 metres it was if you walked the “old” way – which is still accessible. My partner still asks why I’m not following the signs when I go through KGX/STP on the Tube (even more baffling was a sign saying to walk the long way a mere 50 metres from the much quicker / closer entrance to the line).

Hopefully the new stations won’t be so nuts.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

<<Deleted>>

LondonAndy70
    Participant

[postquote quote=1217034]

But of course from King’s Cross you have Thameslink which intersects with several major stations in London. Thameslink = North/South; Elizabeth Line = East/West. Intersects at Farringdon…..

TonyR
    Participant

This is true of a lot of Tube stations. It took me a while to work out the quickest routes out of Kings Cross which are basically don’t follow the signs or you’ll be in for a long walk instead of escalators straight to the surface. Bank is another dimension entirely as is Waterloo.

cwoodward
    Participant

I must confess to being rather chuffed to read that Hong Kong’s MTR Corp that continues to be doing a sterling job running the Elizabeth line had avoided any of the problem strikes by sitting down with the relevant unions a couple of weeks ago and coming to a pay agreement with the workforce. I hope that the London commuters are enjoying the service
    After the largely unjustified kicking that Hong Kong continues to receive from the British media and government I was unsurprised that this positive news for London commuters was largely unreported in the British media or the local BBC outlets.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes so far MTR is doing a good job with the Elizabeth Line.

However MTR holds a 30 per cent stake in the South Western Trains franchise.

Since the pandemic started SWT has been suffering owing to a decline in lucrative commuter traffic.

cwoodward
    Participant

To be honest I am a little surprised that they took a minority management stake although perhaps it offers clear management rights and if so I am confident that they will do a solid job. The Hong Kong MTR system continues to expand apace with huge (8 years in the building) New Territories – HK Island cross harbour line just open.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1217034]

Which is just one of the reasons why I go from LHR to Cambridge by coach. I even get free Wifi and streaming entertainment en route! 2½ hours or less, and the fares are decent too. And yes, 2½ hours sounds a lot longer, but there are no platform changes or waits for connections, you just get in, settle down, stop worrying and get off at the end!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls