Elizabeth Line overcrowding

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

A well managed line that works !

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The services to and from Heathrow can be overcrowded at peak times but so too is the rest of the line.

Figures released today by rail regulator ORR reveal just how popular the Elizabethe Line has become.

Passenger numbers have increased by 41 per cent in three months. One in six of all UK rail journeys (excluding tube lines) are now made on the Liz Line.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/passengers-elizabeth-line-soar-41-per-cent-tfl-overcrowding-b1067730.html

cwoodward
    Participant

This perhaps to a degree points up how poor some of the other services are in comparison as reasonably often the Elizabeth line is not the pax’s only choice of line.
    The demand is staggering and I am reminded of the naysayers who so strongly objected the building of the line.

RoyJones
    Participant

I wonder if the passenger numbers figure is at all meaningful. The Elizabeth Line is really 3 joined sectors: West of Paddington incl Heathrow; Central Section form Paddington to Liverpool Street or Stratford and East of Liverpool Street or Stratford. I very much doubt many passengers use all three sectors, maybe many use two. The passenger count would also include people going one or two stations as well as the train buffs who go from Reading to Shenfield. Yes Crossrail was very expensive so its a delight to see that a full sized railway though Central London is being heavily used and the investment rewarded. Now for Crossrail2!

cwoodward
    Participant

It would be interesting to know these things and I am sure the information that you mention is available however the well-designed and managed line is a major success. I wonder how it will be in five years or so.
    I would have thought its largely commuters not ‘train buffs’ that are travelling longer distances on the line as surely the ‘buffs’ will have had there fill after so many months.

Yes roll on Crossrail 2..40 years time at best I suggest.

RodneyUK
    Participant

Is the line operating at full capacity yet? Last I saw, many of the units were stored at the old Oak Common site.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Overcrowding continues.

This tweet is from today and covers the period after the morning rush.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I used the Elizabeth Line at a very similar time from Heathrow to Tottenham Court Road last Friday morning – it was busy but certainly not full. However, the chances of any train going through central London during rush hour and being empty, is very unlikely…

isachmercury
    Participant

[postquote quote=1340244]

I agree with you, every year the population grows and it gets harder and harder to avoid traffic jams, but I’d say it’s pretty ok to walk around these cities now.

isachmercury
    Participant

[postquote quote=1357229]

What do you think about it?

Johnnyg
    Participant

I had to use this line last Saturday lunchtime for the first time. Had to do the full route from T5 to Abbey Wood, pleasant journey about an hour BUT the seats are bone hard, I moved 3 times and still couldn’t get a decent one. I certainly wouldn’t like to do the same journey on a regualar basis.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TSSA planning a strike on Liz Line for May 24.

Meanwhile TfL admits there remain software bugs which will take time to resolve.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Into LCY indeed a far quicker and time saving option.
    a quick 1 hr connection in Europe offers LH, Swiss, Australian, KLM, AF and Thai, with a £1,500 less Biz fare to go alongside!

ASK1945
    Participant

To return to the title of this thread, and Alex’s latest message, I used the EL on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week (during the middle of the day, not the rush hours). The only overcrowding I experienced was on one journey on Wednesday when I alighted at Tottenham Court Road station but was then stuck there in what became an “armpit to armpit” train as it did not move for 10 minutes because the train in front had broken down.

Like dozens of others, I left the train then and found a different route. My other journeys were fine.

PS: the EL of course does not go directly to LCY so does require either a change to the DLR or a long walk.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I agreed with another comment suggesting the LCY route, so remaining with thread subject, the apparent dislike and discomfort of having to take the EL, and its overcrowding.
    It does avoid the long process of arriving at LHR, and slow travels and overcrowding on the EL and indeed the tube, into C london.

Taxis are about 15-20 mins from LCY also, into Central London, and not a huge cost.

I continue to have smoother trips departing and arriving using LCY.
    Like others i hope the capacity on the EL is increased to the demand. It gives a poor impression to visitors to the UK when travelling in such conditions.
    Prior to it, it was even more awkward, using the slow Piccadilly line!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls