EK106 cancelled/diverted flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

If there was an engine failure I too would want to get on the ground quickly.

I wonder if there were any circumstances were the Captain would divert to a country where geopolitics would be an issue.

icenspice
    Participant

Very good question Martyn.

I have only been diverted once, and that was due to a medical emergency.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

“Oh dear FDOS. Bit touchy this afternoon?”

Not at all, just amused at you trying to cover your tracks.

EK have a policy of avoiding certain bits of airspace in the eastern Med, so that means either flying down to Egypt and then cutting across via KSA or going the other way (east or northeast.)

Neither route goes near Istanbul and after two hours flight, would require a significant reversal of track to go there.

Unfortunately FR24 has not got data on the flight on 2 June, but for sure it would not be routing near IST.

By the way, would you confirm what qualifications you hold to perform air navigation? Mine is a CAA exam.

SimonS1
    Participant

@FDOS

1. Of course FR24 has the data. You just need to look in the right place. I can assist you here:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/a6-enb#9e8529d

2. The plane was what, 400 miles ESE of Istanbul. middle of Turkish airspace. 45 mins at normal cruise speed, perhaps a bit more on one engine. Bit of a distance but a good opportunity to jettison some fuel on the way back.

Doesn’t seem that crass to me. Remember I didn’t say the plane was overhead Istanbul, just that it wasn’t so far off the line.

Now tell us again whereabouts over Egypt or Sinai you would have placed it? Surely with your CAA exams in navigation you can work out you are miles from the action. Maybe that’s why you are on here and not looking for MH370.

As a matter of interest where would you have diverted to at that point? (ps don’t say Cairo or you will look a complete plonker). Cyprus possibly – smaller airport. Ankara – no EK people there. Antalya – good for your suntan I guess but little else. Or Istanbul – where EK already has 3 777s a day so some degree of support.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Finny it doesn’t show on this page, isn’t it?

https://www.flightradar24.com/flight/ek106

There would be no need to jettison fuel with this flight profile, I won’t even waste the time expaining why.

You wrote “I think when you draw the flightpath on a map it’s not that far off the line?”

Using the FR24 map you linked, even Vintage Krug could not argue that Istanbul was close to the planned track and the track made good involves about a 130 degree reversal from the plan.

Doesn’t seem that crass – forgive me for rolling on the floor laughing.

If you read my post again, I wrote “mkcol74 is right, the aircraft would be probably have been somewhere around Egypt/Red Sea/Sinai after two hours flight form Athens. Even if it had gone on an initial northeasterly track, it ATH-IST is only 330 miles, so it would have been well beyond.” My experience with EK in the Med has been that they go south and then cut across, but I also saw a possibility of going the other way, so please no sarcastic comments, as I had both options covered.

Where to divert? No idea, as I don’t work for EK or know their SOPs – I am sure that the commander followed procedures (probably spoke with MAINTROL to discuss the options. But that isn’t the point, I never said that it was a wrong decision, just that IST was nowhere near the planned flight track (and I was right).

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Funny it doesn’t show on this page, isn’t it?

https://www.flightradar24.com/flight/ek106

There would be no need to jettison fuel with this flight profile, I won’t even waste the time explaining why.

You wrote “I think when you draw the flightpath on a map it’s not that far off the line?”

Using the FR24 map you linked, even Vintage Krug could not argue that Istanbul was close to the planned track and the track made good involves about a 130 degree reversal from the plan.

Doesn’t seem that crass? – forgive me for rolling on the floor laughing.

If you read my post again, I wrote “mkcol74 is right, the aircraft would be probably have been somewhere around Egypt/Red Sea/Sinai after two hours flight form Athens. Even if it had gone on an initial northeasterly track, it ATH-IST is only 330 miles, so it would have been well beyond.” My experience with EK in the Med has been that they go south and then cut across, but I also saw a possibility of going the other way, so please no sarcastic comments, as I had both options covered.

Where to divert? No idea, as I don’t work for EK or know their SOPs – I am sure that the commander followed procedures (probably spoke with MAINTROL to discuss the options). But that isn’t the point, I never said that it was a wrong decision, just that IST was nowhere near the planned flight track (and I was right).

SimonS1
    Participant

Well as I have shown you the data is there. Of course in real life one needs navigation skills for the internet as well. Maybe BA’s IT contractors have been at work – see I knew we could get an anti-BA angle for you.

Of course it involves a reversal. Then again most diversion points would have involved a change of course. So barring Ankara, Istanbul was pretty much as near as any from the path they were flying (don’t worry I have left the door open for you to catch me out over a few kms here and there).

I’m glad you agree the plane wasn’t probably “somewhere around Egypt/Red Sea/Sinai” as well. At least that little mystery is cleared up.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Sometimes, it’s best to stop digging the hole.

The plan track was nowhere near Istanbul and nothing you can say will make it so.

The aircraft turned about 130 degrees off track and back tracked to IST, I’m sure it was a good decision, but it was not an divert anywhere near planned track. Endof.

K1ngston
    Participant

The plane landed safely, nobody it appears was injured, does it really matter where it landed, and it what direction it flew there?? I would rather land anywhere than become another statistic aka EgyptAir or heaven forbid MH….

And I can assure you, if there was a disaster looming and the jet would have needed to land into TLV then it would have been allowed to, whoever the aircraft belonged too!

Right got that off my chest …tea anyone???

MB34C
    Participant

I was also on that flight. EK106 2 June 2016 then EK8106 on 3 June 2016 which was diverted to IST then finally EK8100. What compensation was offered to you under (EC) 261/2004? Is this clasified as 2 cancelled flights or just 1? We had 3 flight numbers to get from ATH to DBX.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think its irrelevant how many flights you took MB3, EK will just look to wriggle out of it and put it down to “circumstances beyond our control”!

On the off chance you do get compensation, it will be based on just one journey, not the individual sectors.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls