EK First Class Lounge

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• esselle
    Participant

I’ve used the various First Class EK lounges at DXB many times over the years, and typically find them to provide an excellent balance of service/space/restaurant etc.

Today, however, I spotted a gap which I struggle a bit to understand.

Most of my previous connections have been quite short (+/- 1 hour) in the past, but today I am in the “A” lounge with a 4 hour layover on a GVA-MEL trip.

Given how long I am here for, and after breakfast/shower etc, I thought I would go and have a wonder around the terminal.

And so I have discovered that there are no facilities (concierge etc) where you can securely store your bags. I’ve been told I cannot leave them anywhere, and if I want to leave the lounge I have to take them with me.

I think this is the first lounge I’ve ever used where such facilities do not exist, and it is hardly short of space.

Thoughts?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I recently transited through Dubai, and always have a 3 – 4 hour layover between flights. Unless they’ve changed the rules, I’ve always left my bags by my seat and gone off for a wander or for some tax free shopping. No-one has ever said anything. Maybe you had an over officious lounge guardian!

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Thanks LP. I always find it interesting when policies do (or don’t!) get implemented at the apparent whim of an employee. I guess it’s a good sign though that you felt your belongings were safe left unattended. I would always prefer a dedicated area under supervision.

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

During my time in Asia a friend of mine had a daily 90 minute train commute into Tokyo. For some reason on one day he left his jacket, laptop plus wallet on a station bench. The train was non-stop to Tokyo and by the time ,having realised his error, he got back to said station 3+hours later, he was not expècting a good outcome. That said all his belongings were still there intact. Maybe more to do with Japanese culture but he was one relieved person!!

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1338762]

It can happen in New York. I stayed in a cheap hotel there with a breakfast room years ago. I left a small pouch on a table in that room by mistake. It was stuffed with thousands of dollars in cash, credit cards, passports. A long time later I realized and rushed back. Someone had handed it in at the hotel front desk, untouched.

What a relief. I have never forgotten that.

Peter
    Participant

Recently, while travelling to Kobe, I dropped my Permanent Resident card and then left my iPad in a luggage trolley at Kansai Airport (KIX) station. On returning to the station sometime later, found both waiting for me. Japan is a unique country in terms of security and honesty, not to mention cleanliness, order, beauty… the list goes on. I have been travelling the world since I was 10 and there is no other country that has impressed me the way Japan has. It is unique in oh so many ways. Nowhere else comes close, I humbly suggest.

3 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

In a stopover at Philadelphia airport, I realised whilst sitting in the BA lounge that my wallet was missing. I thought that I must have left it at the security screening, so I went back. The guys there said they hadn’t seen it. As I returned to the lounge (feeling dejected, of course) a security guy arrived at the same moment, with my wallet: the wallet had been found earlier, and security manager’s office had looked inside it, found my details and guessed that I might be in the BA lounge – correctly. There was nothing missing.

In contrast, another time, I left an Amazon Kindle on my seat in a BA lounge at Madrid and realised this when I got to the gate. I went straight back – just a matter of minutes later. The area had been tidied and the staff denied any knowledge of finding it.

PS: yes, I am absent minded from time to time.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1338937]

did similar myself, about 16 years ago left my wallet on an exchange desk in HKG, arrived in SGN before i realized (when going to pay for a taxi!) meanwhile staff at HKG handed it to the police who took it to my office there next day. They sent it FedEx to my hotel in Saigon but by the time it arrived i was already on my way to Jakarta. the hotel in Saigon arranged for it to be sent to my hotel in Jakarta where it finally arrived the day before i was leaving! luckily i was travelling with a colleague who fronted me the cash during our travels. everything was in there, not a $/£ missing.

got off a flight to CAN on EK got less that 200m from the plane and realized i left my duty free on board. went back to the plane and they would not let me on to check. had to file a report and a few days later told nothing found

jsn55
    Participant

I usually don’t use lounges except for Virgin’s Clubhouses. I have always just ‘left my stuff’ to go walkies out in the terminal. Perhaps I am naive or nuts, but it’s a luxury to be able to stroll around without dragging the rollaboard. I do take my passport and docs with me tho. When I was 17, I got my first pair of contact lenses and left them at my aunt’s house about an hour away from home. When I finally retrieved them, I had to start over with the adjustment process. Doing such a dumb thing made me so mad that I’ve rarely lost anything in my good long life, I’m quite methodical. But occasionally it happens, and that awful sinking feeling is unlike anything else, just awful.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

From memory, the Virgin lounge at JNB have lockers where you can leave your hand baggage. I’m not sure about other VS lounges elsewhere.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls